Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with difficult run

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by palladium, Aug 3, 2005.

1. palladium

palladium

Aug 3, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm having some problems with the chromatic sequence running down the fretboard in major or minor 3rds. Example - C, Ab, B, G, Bb, Gb, A, F, etc. It requires constant and smooth shifting. (If you're having problems thinking of the passage, jaco, metheny, wakenius, and a host of others use it ALL over the place.) Does anybody have any advice on how to improve on this difficult sequence? thanks!

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    do you mean in groups of two notes on two strings?

(C, Ab) (B, G) (Bb, G) (A, F)

"one finger descending rake" might be the technique.

You could tap it as well.

3. palladium

palladium

Aug 3, 2005
    Madison, WI
    yes, kiwi kid. sorry i didn't make that clear. i guess the descending rake aspect isn't the hard part, rather keeping my left hand moving down the fretboard nice and smoothly. im using my index and middle finger in the left hand for the major thirds and index and ring finger for the minor thirds, and moving one possition on every group of two notes. so its a lot of possition shifts. this is whats giving me problems i guess.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Something that I've been practicing lately is a sliding lick, which sounds similar to what you're enquiring about.

Basicly it's a sliding motion over the frets, and timing each pluck right as you pass over each fret. So what I've been doing is sliding over 12 frets and plucking 12 times. I guess it's just a timing thing. I'm not looking for exact-ness between the first and last notes, just as long as I start and finish the lick cleanly.

5. eekmo

eekmo

Feb 13, 2004
    Sachse, TX
    I just picked up a guitar and tried this. Without a lot of practice, I got it the smoothest by playing the first note (C) on let's say the g-string and then open hammering the next note (A) on the d-string. I can get a fairly smooth sliding motion going using this technique.
    E.