Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with elevator music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basslax, Jan 9, 2003.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    hello everybody..me and my friend are planning on setting up a keyboard and URB in our school elevator and playing some live elevator music. i need some help though.

could someone either point me to some info/sheet music ( :D ) or explain the basics of achieving that classis muzak sound.

thanks
    BTW, this is in the Off Topic forum not Misc. because, to tell you the truth, i dont consider this real music.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    just grab a John Denver or olivia newton john songbook and you'll have all the cheese you need !

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This is inane.

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Basslax- Genius...Peyour Ge-ni-us! I love it! The key to elevator is to remove any soul and feeling from the melody in order to make it more"listenable" to a wider audience. This means no bends, no dynamics, and nothing in the mix that "sticks out" to far. Also it helps to have no singer and stick to instrumentals. My favorite elevator composer is Antonio Carlos Jobim(think elevator meets samba). Godoze- the stuff you mention may be cheesey, but it requires the listener to pay attention. With elevator you have to think Subliminal Cheez...:p

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'll need a compressor to keep your dynamic range within a 1 dB spread, too.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My advice is to see your primary care physician and get scrips for Valium and Xanax.

About an hour before playing/recording, chug about half a bottle of each prescription and chase it down with a bottle of Nyquil.

Then turn on your TV and watch "An Hour of Diamondique" on the Home Shopping Channel or "House Hunters" on the Home and Garden channel.

[​IMG]

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Victor Wooten has some songs that are "elevator music"

well not quite, but they might as well be they are so smooth and "hey if I was in an elevator this would make the ride more enjoyable".

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Watch the Blues Brothers - it's got two very suitable scenes to study:

- The scene with Murph and the Magitones doing the lounge gig

- Towards the end where Jake and Elwood are in an elevator subjected to 'calming' muzak while the police and military forces of the Tri-state area are being mobilised in hot pursuit

Wulf

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The song playing in the elevator is The Girl From Eponima.

(I've seen the movie a few times :D )

10. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ..sorry to come accross as stupid, but how do you power a keyboard in an elevator (or a lift as we brits call it ;) ) ?

Check out some stanley clarke, for example school days or silly putty :)

11. Y'see (what's left of) the emergency telephone? You can get power out of there.:D :rolleyes:

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Apparently you haven't seen the title of the song, though. It's The Girl from Ipanema.

13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've seen it. That's just what happens when I try to do something that early in the morning :oops:.
    (Time of my first post: 7:16 am :eek: )
    Thanks for the spellcheck Munji ;) .

14. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Slater-By the By..."The Girl from Ipanema" was written by the aforementioned master Antonio Carlos Jobim. Way to bring it full-circle Chachi!!:)

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    ::snip::muzak sound. ::snip::

At Spencer Gifts [where i work] we have Muzak CDs. They are the = to elevator music to us. It's mostly stuff that is either old & never was good or is loaded with songs by the bands that we sell merchandise of [kiss mainly]. They're supposed to be based off of what the marketing department decides. Ok-back to this topic-lots of compression so that it all sounds the same & play as consistent in dynamics, tone, & attack as possible so that people barely if at all notice you. Thats all

16. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    as it so happens our school has a wide range of cheesy portable keyboards packed with a dozen or two "D" batteries

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Just so you know... to the average listener Jazz is elevator music. Well, soft Jazz at least. Which I think is funny because it is arguably one of the most challanging forms of music (jazz that is) and a lot of people just percive it as "that crap they play in elevators or at mcdonalds or at the dentists office."

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Listen to Brian bromberg's new album "Jaco" thats practically dripping with smooth jazz feel(which is kind of a shame being a tribute to Jaco the Jazz punk...its still a great album) at anyrate...all these Jaco songs...played by Brian Bromberg and a bunch of studio cats, it ends up sounding really smooth.

as I said before Victor Wooten....Adult contempory...its hilarious. Its great music, I could so easily hear yinnin and yangin being played at a mcdonalds or something...maybe the tali lama as well.

its really quite funny, and Matty hit the pin with a slightly bigger pin.

19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Much elevator music and doctor's office music is "Adult Contemporary" less often than "Smooth Jazz." That category includes songs by Celine Dion, Kelly Clarkson, John Denver, Paul Anka, Neil Diamond, Elton John, Randy Newman, Wayne Newton, and stylized versions of N'Sync, Backstreet Boyz and all the others of that ilk. Dionne Warwick is a favorite elevator music diva. Much of her music is written by Burt Bacharach. His music and that of Barry Manilow are standard Muzac fare.

This is not to say that the music did not at one time have merit. My point is that the work of these artists is "softened" to create a background white noise that does not jar the listener or grab their attention. Thus one would not be likely to hear heavy metal in an elevator, though in Nashville, where I lived until recently, it was not uncommon to hear country music in the background in elevators, restaurants and malls.

A good source of elevator music choices would be to check billboard.com, then check their list of "Adult Contemporary" best sellers.

20. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    after much deliberation, i have narrowed it down to these three midis i have. remember, this is goign to be played by live instruments. URB and a keyboard(maybe upright acoustic paino..depending on available space) in an elevator...

download the zip and tell me which one is the best in your opinion