Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with EMG BQC on my Modulus

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scott_barrett, Aug 7, 2000.

1. Howdy all....

In reading the manual for my Modulus Quantum V, it states that the tone center for the bass control is 250hz. Is this for real? When I adjust this control, my sound gets more muddy than deep. Is this something that can be changed? The Bartolini's center is at 30hz, which sounds where it should be. The EMG control is listed as a "shelving 250hz". Does it boost everything under this level? If this is not adjustable(read:useless to me), should I consider going to the Barts or Seymour Duncans? Will they be drop in replacements?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    From EMG's page:

Active EQ Voicing with the BQC tone control
    The EMG active bass and treble circuit - part of our BTC, BTS, BQC, and BQS units - is standard equipment on many of today's leading basses and one of our most popular add-ons. It's got a great feature which is often overlooked, since you'd only notice it when the control cavity is open or if you read the installation manual.
    The BT circuit includes two tiny DIP switches that let you control the "knee frequency" of the treble control. By selecting different settings you can change the frequency that the treble control begins to have it's boost or cut effect which really affects the character of your tone. When you select a lower knee frequency, the control will tweak the upper mids and will let you modify the "throatiness" of your sound. At the highest frequency setting, the control will only affect the extreme high harmonics of the bass range which can be useful for tweaking the aggressiveness of your popping. These four choices combined with the powerful 12dB boost or cut of the circuit really open the door to very unique and personalized sounds.

NOTE: We recommend unplugging your guitar when changing switch settings to prevent spurious clicks or pops from damaging your amp.

The two DIP switches are in a small plastic package on the circuit's PC board. You'll need a small pointed device to slide the switches into their desired settings.

If you look closely at the DIP switch package, you'll see that the two switches are clearly marked. In addition, one position of the switch will be marked "ON" or "1".

Here are the switch settings for each of the different EMG BQ Voicing Options.

SW1 SW2 Knee Freq
    on on 2.5 kHz
    off on 3.5 kHz
    on off 5.0 kHz (default)
    off off 8.0 kHz

Visit http://www.emginc.com/WBBT.html

Hmmm... after re-reading, I guess that doesn't really answer your question.

I can't imagine why a bass control would be at the frequency you mentioned. Is it a typo? I would contact the EMG tech team - they've been quick and courteous to me in the past.

[Edited by sixandeightstringer on 08-09-2000 at 11:49 AM]

Sidewinder7 likes this.

3. Thanks for the info...I read their site and talked to the rep from Modulus and a luthier who described the shelving control as boosting between 60-250hz at various levels. After talking to the Modulus rep, they have offered to replace the pickups with Bartolini's for no charge. That will get me back to the sound that I had with my first Q5.

Thanks again,
    Scott

[Edited by scott_barrett on 08-09-2000 at 12:19 PM]

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I also own a Quantum V with Bartolinis, and love it. I would expect theyll replace the EMGs with Bart's OR Lane Poors if you so desire. Theyre great about that. I had them switch my Bart 2 EQ's to 3 EQ's and the hardware from chrome to black, and they did. I didnt OWN the Modulus at that point, but i had paid for it. They should change it for you. If you dont like the Bart's, get the set of Lane Poor's, and have them put in a Bart pre-amp, or, (for some charge) an aguilar pre-amp. Thatll give you a different sound. I hope that helps!

Just out of curiousity, whats your Modulus look like? Youre like the fourth or fifth person here to have one...

:eek:

5. After talking to the MARS rep again today, their going to order me a brand new Q5 that should arrive on Tuesday. My current Q5 is Blackstone, the new one will be Honeyburst. The Modulus site has the color swatches if you want a visual. BTW, what color is yours?

SB

6. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I tried a Modulus with the EMG's and 2bnd eq and it was just OK. I have a Quantum SS (1 p/u) with a Lane Poor and Bartolini 3 bnd eq, It is VERY, VERY flexible. From flat piano-like tone, to modern, to Fender Jazzish, to grungy it will do it all! I strongly recommend trying this combination.
    Also, beware that Modulus basses are EXTREEMLY sensitive and any left hand fingering that is not precise will reveal itself. If it makes any difference I have the wood (granadillo) fingerboard instead of the graphite, sound is marginally softer but I liked the feel.
    Finally, if you can get the model you want in a week, you must be destined to have it. Mine took over 6 months, but I'm glad I waited. If your going to dish out the $ for a top-shelf instrument don't compromise get exactly what you want.

RGDS

7. Gentlemen...

Thanks for all your help! I ended up getting a Modulus Quantum 6 yesterday with Bartolini's in it. Problem solved!

Scott

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Lucky a$$ bastard! I was GOING to buy a transparent honey one (yellow)! But some guy walked out with it WHEN I WALKED IN TO BUY IT! But mine is blackstone! The next Modulus (Q5 with EMG's, or Q6 with whatever) will DEFINITELY be honey or amber, burst or regular! Enjoy it!

9. Dude...

Your not in Tampa, Florida are you? The Q5 I just brought back was a Blackstone with EMG's. My new 6 is a quilted maple clear gloss...too freaky....

I'm watching the Dave Matthews Listener Supported Video now.. Stephan is tearin' it up on that Q5 which looks to be a GreenStone? Just picked up the lines from 'Rapunzel' and 'The Stone'. Need to work some of those techniques into my playing at church...

Out...

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, no, im in Seattle. Mine has barts! And mine was handbuilt and stuff.

Dude, he plays a Quantum?! I have newfound respect for him!

11. Yeah...

Stefan did the last album and the live one with the Quantum 5. Much better sounding in my opinion than the Dolphin. Longer notes and the punch is still there, but not as in your face as it was. If you check out the video for 'Listener Supported', you can see him switch basses but the majority of it is on the Q5. I think it's a GreenStone with Bart's in it...