Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with Fender P action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by torza, Jan 24, 2006.

1. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    hey all. i just got my fender p bass set up. the neck is totally fine, but i'm not happy with the string height. i started messing with the bridge saddles, now i'm even more unhappy with the way my bass plays. so i went out and bought a 6" ruler with 1/32 and 1/64 increments. what now? i looked up the links that are on this sight (the fender and the gary willis one) and they are really vague. any help?!...

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    The gary willis one is actually pretty concise. The problem you're having is that since you've lowered the action, you've messed up your intonation. If you're having trouble setting the intonation with the info you have on Gary Willis' site, you're better off getting your bass set up by a pro.

3. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I'm a newb wrt to setting up as well. I lowered the saddle heights and just got a ton of buzz on the lower frets. Are you recommending adding relief, then lowering the saddles?

4. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    how do u measure relief?

5. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    sorry everyone! i saw the sticky. torza check out the sticky.

6. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    hehe.. the sticky>???

7. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    what about the proper measurements? i have the correct ruler with the smaller increments... what's the best way to set the action on this particular bass?