1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with finding a Marshall punk tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BDL1991, Apr 26, 2010.

1. I just can't seem to dial in a good Punk tone through my amp, and I mean the Overdriven sorta tone not, the Clean boosted Mids tone.

Can Anybody, think of any settings I can get this sorta sound with my Marshall MB4210??

For basses I have Fender MIM Jazz stock and a Cort T-75, which is stock with EMG-HZ pick ups and EMG B30 RevS Three Band active tone circuit, and I also have a GLX Bass Overdrive which is apparently a Boss Clone.

So basically i'm wondering what should I do to attempt to get a good punk tone, and I've used the search function, and it's came up with answers to a similar question but not my specific question, each amp sounds different, especially since this is a Hybrid.
    So this question is centered around the Classic Channel of this amp rather than the modern.

2. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Punk tone? I'll be completely honest with you, we never worried about tone. Plugged straight in, maxed everything except volume, and just went for it. More often then not, we just used whatever amps were available. I know that isn't what your looking for, but I don't think there is a certain "punk tone".

3. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Can you give us a clip/example of what you're shooting for?

4. rancid, slightly less overdriven but aye

5. and I know more than likely, both of these tones are acheived with a Tube head, Ampeg more than likely

6. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Those are both... uh... fairly clean, mid-forward sounds. Straight up EQ, a bit of drive on the amp, all pickups full up, play with a pick. I don't see how you can have trouble getting those kinds of tones.

7. with my amp it's quite hard, due to the Drive section being like this P1010375.

8. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Gain controls the amount of distortion, Boost being, well, a distortion boost. Volume controls overall volume of the channel, so you can bring it down if it's overpowering the Modern channel or what have you. Bass and Treble are self explanatory. The Voice switch and knob look confusing, but it's just a fancy mids control. Haven't played one of those amps in quite a while, but a quick scan of the manual says that Voice 1 is Ampeg-y. Adjust to taste.

The manual also says that the Classic tone controls are passive, which means noon is not flat. Noon is flat on the Modern EQ section, though. Compare back and forth to find the most natural sound - don't use your eyes, use your ears.

The controls on the Classic channel become exactly half as effective when you've got the Blend set the way you have it set. Turn off blend, get a sound you like on each channel, then think about throwing them together.

9. atm i think i have it set Bass 11, Treble 13, Voice shift on 2 with the voice around 7/8 and noon with a gain boost