Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with fixing a g**tar.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm working on a Les Paul that is exibiting some strange symptoms. When the bridge pickup is on, the volume drops significantly as compared to the neck pickup, and it also distorts like a battery is dying, except that there's no battery in a Les Paul. I've already cleaned the pots, inspected all the solder joints, and even took the tone control out of the circuit to make sure it wasn't the capacitor dying. I can't figure out what's wrong. Any suggestions as to what to look for?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Might be a bad pickup.

3. Pickup probably needs cleaning or replacing. My bass was exbiting the same type of behavior after the bridge pickup died. I took it into my local guitar store and they "fixed" it, or they thought they did atleast, and after that it started acting like described. I took it back and they sent it off to the ibanez center, and when it came back it was better than I got it, and they didn't have to replace the pickups. I'm not sure how exactly you clean a pickup, but thats what they did.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Aha! All is well; I fixed it, accidentally. I disconnected the volume pot in order to take it out, only to realize that Gibson requires a long shaft pot, which I didn't have. I re-soldered the volume pot back into the circuit, and bam! All fixed. Apparently there were some bad connections on the pot, even though physically they looked fiine. Thanks everybody!