1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help with fixing a g**tar.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm working on a Les Paul that is exibiting some strange symptoms. When the bridge pickup is on, the volume drops significantly as compared to the neck pickup, and it also distorts like a battery is dying, except that there's no battery in a Les Paul. I've already cleaned the pots, inspected all the solder joints, and even took the tone control out of the circuit to make sure it wasn't the capacitor dying. I can't figure out what's wrong. Any suggestions as to what to look for?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Might be a bad pickup.

3. Pickup probably needs cleaning or replacing. My bass was exbiting the same type of behavior after the bridge pickup died. I took it into my local guitar store and they "fixed" it, or they thought they did atleast, and after that it started acting like described. I took it back and they sent it off to the ibanez center, and when it came back it was better than I got it, and they didn't have to replace the pickups. I'm not sure how exactly you clean a pickup, but thats what they did.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Aha! All is well; I fixed it, accidentally. I disconnected the volume pot in order to take it out, only to realize that Gibson requires a long shaft pot, which I didn't have. I re-soldered the volume pot back into the circuit, and bam! All fixed. Apparently there were some bad connections on the pot, even though physically they looked fiine. Thanks everybody!