Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help With Funk

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rutkn, Jan 12, 2006.

1. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    Ive been playing bass around a year. Mostly play rock. I have developed my slap techinque and i think im pretty good at it. I learnt how to play higher ground:) Can someone tell me more funky songs i can learn or a book i can buy.

Thanks

2. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    so my guess is that you are at a ChiliPeppers slapping level?

Well, if you are, learn Aeroplane, Fight Like a Brave, and Get up and Jump

3. merdenoms2590

merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
    another good RHCP slap would be the intro to True Men Dont Kill Coyotes and anything by The Brothers Johnson and Sly are good funk and slap stuff

4. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    Is chilli pepper level good? thanks anyway

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    See if you can find Larry Graham's Super Slapping Bass instructional video. This man invented slap and pop. It'll be a big help.

Also +1 on the Sly and the Family stone, Brothers Johnson,

and let me add if you really want to funk it up, find Bootsy's rubber band, and also buy some Parliament-Funkadelic.

6. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
  7. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Good stuff. Gotta get the finger-funk going too. It's all about the groove. Definitely check out anything by the Funky Meters for some good Nawlins funk. George Porter, Jr. is right on with the dead (muted) notes. Chocolate City by Parliament (Side Effects has a cool slap into), or get a greatest hits to get the usual ones...Flashlight, Up for the Down Stroke...anything by Parliament/Funkadelic. (Funkadelic leans a little more towards rock...but still funky - hence the name.) That'll getcha going. Don't throw your back out.:hyper:

8. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I was a little late on the response. Bootsy's Rubber Band kills. Have you heard Zillatron? Definitely has that Praxis/Bill Laswell influence going on. I think Buckethead and Bernie Worrell were on it. Too tired to go look.

9. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

I have not heard Zillatron, but I will soon! Thanks for that info..I will be picking that up ASAP!

10. Pick up some Marcus Miller stuff. Flea's somewhat infamous for admitting publiclally that his technique is horrible, but it fits the style he plays.

11. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    i live in australia is it worth buying?

12. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    yes.

13. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    2nd'd, that book is worth it.

14. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    that book helped teach me to read and slap crazy,with a good teacher or the cd that comes with it,it is the best slap book,all examples are in open e,so try working in other keys also.

15. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    "i live in australia is it worth buying?"

...So how much is Australia going for nowadays? Is Ayers Rock included?

Sorry It's 1 am; couldn't help myself...

Mike

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass. :cool:

A great place to start would be our Technique and General Instruction forums. This forum is about Basses. Moved to Technique.

17. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    It's pretty nutty. Takes a few listens.

18. MUppet

MUppet

Nov 16, 2004
  19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    these guys are messin' wit'ya a little, Man. A lot of that Brothers Johnson stuff is inhumanly fast, or just freaky-hard to pick off the record - not something to start-out-with.

Actually - Louis Johnson himself put out a training video, didn't he?

Joe