Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with G&L bridge set screw

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vicenzajay, Feb 18, 2005.

1. G&L enthusiasts,

Got my new L2K a few weeks ago - the bridge set screw was missing. I called G&L and they sent me a new one (with the nylon screw hole insert).

Now I need help - how do I install it? Do I need to detension the strings, or can I just insert the nylon fitting and screw the set screw until the saddles are pressed together?

Thanks for any help.

Jay

2. That's it.

3. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Let me know what it does to your sound.
    I have been playing with my G&L for 2 years now and never had that set screw. I never had a desire to get it because I like my sound as it is. Also, how much does one of these things cost from the factory?

danman

4. Danman,

I called them, gave them the serial number and the fact that it didn't come with it installed.

They sent it to me for free - that's great, but to be honest I expected it - should have come with all parts installed (especially given that we're talking about a 1200 dollar bass).

Jay

5. If you try to tighten that nylon plug too tight it will break. I have an older L1000 bridge that used the same set screw as the saddle height adjustments. So I just took it out of the spare bridge and tightened it to my hearts content! :smug:

I love the idea that something is pressing all the saddles together and creating an "inertia block." Does it make a difference? I haven't heard any with or without the screw, but it makes me feel better. Oh, I had the strings off when I tightened the screw.

6. Any hints? - I just don't want to overtension it, however, I'm sure it needs to be somewhat tight in order to perform it's function.

Jay

7. If you look, that plug isn't very big, so it's not really going to push the saddles against each other, not to mention make contact with the other (bass) side of the bridge. I guess, just getting the saddles in contact with each other will help, any tighter is better, if you can tighten them all so that all 4 saddles are tight against each other, and making contact with the side of the bridge on the bass side, I'd imagine that would be optimal.

8. Thanks - I did just that...tightened it down fairly firmly. All the saddles are pushed together and the entire mass is against the bass side of the bridge.

And yes, there is a noticeable difference in the sustain (much better) and overall tone (more like one big piano string for all 4 strings).

Definitely worth doing.

Thanks,
    Jay