Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with G&L buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vicenzajay, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Got a problem with the ground somewhere in my new bass - buzz happens unless I'm touching either the bridge, strings, tuners or pot knob tops. :scowl:

Anybody G&L smart able to shed some light on this?

Thanks,
    Jay

2. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Could be caused by several things. Most likely a hanging ground somewhere. Though radio interference can cause this too.

It's hard to completely avoid radio interference. To determine if it is ground you will have to try your best. One, turn off all electronics except what is needed run your bass and amp. Keep all power cords away from other cords. There still could be outside radio interference (like by my house I have a CB repeater tower next door). But that should eliminate most of it.

Now if you still get the buzz while not touching anyhting metal there's a ground connection in the wiring of your guitar not connected well.
    Grounds should be coming from yout pots, output jack, and to the bridge. If I remember what is happening, when you aren't touching any metal the electrical current isn't going through the ground wires correctly. There's a ground loop feedback going on. Then when you touch the metal parts on your bass (everthing metal has a conductive path to the bridge somehow generally) you now have become ground for the circuit. But in the case of radio interference you give the circuit more capacitance and that would lower the hum too.

So what you need to do is check the wiring of your bass. Use a continuity tester to make sure all the wires are continuous. If it still happens you will have to find someone else who knows a little more of what is going on.
    If it is radio interference and your bass doesn't have copper shielding you can get copper sheeting at stewmac.com

3. Yes, it happens regardless of atmospherics and lighting. I believe it is a grounding problem with the bridge. I'll work on it. I was hoping someone could shed light on exactly how to do this...which wire, how to shift it, etc.

I'll take it to my setup guy.

thanks,
    Jay

4. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    if you are still looking for answers, head over to www.thedudepit.com and go into the G&L bass forum and tell them what bass you have (be specific...sb2, L1000, L2000, etc) and what your problems are and they will tell you how to fix it.