1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with gain structure

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Timmyhhstingray, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Timmyhhstingray

Timmyhhstingray

Oct 22, 2020
    Hello everyone. Talk bass is always my go to, to search forums for answers to questions I may have. This is the first time posting on here because there are so many different conversations in regards to pedals. Here is my situation. I play a 5 string stingray HH and i am looking for a pedal to give me more gain (without it driving) to FOH. I do not use an amp and run directly to the house. I absolutely love the tone my bass gives and in no way do I want to cover that but I need more gain sent to FOH. I have tried a sans amp and what I don’t like about it is that you have to engage it in order to push the level up and I am just not satisfied with what it does to my tone. What I am looking for is something that will just gain my volume (not distort or drive) and not in any shape form or fashion change the eq or tone of my bass. So I am looking for a clean gain “one knob” pedal to do so and I am reaching out to you guys for your expertise and recommendations. Thank you so much for your help.

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    What specifically is the issue you're having? Is your mixer not able to bring you up to an appropriate level? Are you using a direct box? Is this a simple oversight like the mixer channel (or direct box) has a pad engaged?

Element Zero likes this.
  3. Timmyhhstingray

Timmyhhstingray

Oct 22, 2020
    Most of the time I am going through a Midas M32 which I can gain my bass to get more overhead but I had rather be able to see a stronger signal to them or for when I play somewhere with a house sound system. I had rather be able to send them more. I do use a radial DI and I never use the pad on it. For some reason the stingray HH just doesn’t put out a lot. Last time I went into a house sound system they tech asked if it was a passive bass bc he was having to gain it like it was a passive bass. And it is indeed active and have had it ran through electronically just to make sure something wasn’t miswired or anything and it’s just that these basses doesn’t have a really strong output but the tone is ridiculously incredible

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Huh, I've never had that issue (though I've never had a MM bass either). Seems some kind of active DI box or preamp pedal might be the way to go. I'd suggest changing your title to include the SR HH, and maybe posting in the SR club here. I use a Markbass CMD 121P amp as essentially a DI box that also functions as a stage monitor (and occasionally for my entire volume at small gigs). I don't know if you want to do that, but it let's you control the DI output. It also maintains the tone of the bass pretty faithfully (unless you go tweaking the EQ).

5. Timmyhhstingray

Timmyhhstingray

Oct 22, 2020
    That’s awesome. The Mark Bass stuff sounds really good. The main reasons I don’t carry an amp is bc I wear in ears and the biggest is bc our bays under the bus are all ready completely full. Lol.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Which Radial DI is giving you low signal?

7. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I'm very surprised to hear that your MM does not have enough output and/or why boosting your signal in Midas is not a solution..

You can try a clean boost pedal like the MXR micro amp, or if you want a clean pre/DI with gain on top, the MXR bass pre. I keep recommending the MXR because they're relatively simple to use effective, and affordable, and I have experience with them. There's a bunch of other brands that are good as well. I heard the SFX clean boost is a nice one.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  8. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    When I go with FOH only, I plug into my Eden WTDI (stompbox-size DI box with built in Eden WT preamp and adjustable compressor) and then send the signal to the sound board or to the recording booth if doing some recording. Eden amps and preamps are very clear and allow the sound of your bass to come through. Plus, the WTDI will send a hot signal to the sound board. I use an '82 MIA passive Jazz bass and I run the EQ flat with the exception of just a little boost in the low-mids at 500Hz, which gives me some nice definition and presence in the mix and in recordings. You can run it totally flat and just use it to give you a hot signal for the board if you like.

There are two places to adjust the signal. First place is in the gain. You adjust the gain until you either hear the sweet spot or set it where you normally do with your own amp and then listen to it. Then use the Master to adjust how hot of a signal you are sending to the board. By the way, the "Enhance" knob boosts bass and treble and scoops the mids, so make sure you have that turned off (all the way counter-clockwise) if you want a clean sound. You will hear some warmth in your signal but if you run all the EQ flat, you will only hear the sound of your bass. Street price is $149. Here's a pic of it:

414259383.jpg

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021