Need Help With Getting A new Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapnuts, Sep 24, 2005.

1. slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Hey guys out there. I need a new head. Moi Price Range is 500-600. Maybe 650. If it is just a rack, I want an Enclosure for it. My styles are rock, funk, and big band Jazz. I have a small idea of what I want, maybe the kustom groove bass head, but I don't know. And the head needs to at least have an 8ohm setting as the cab it will be plaing though is 8ohms. Anything else out there worthwhile? Just ask me for any more info.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It needs to be rackable? Well out there in the same price range is the Yorkville 800 watt head, the Traynor YBA-200, and a few GK models, all of which are worth checking out. What kind of sound do you want?
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Check out a Markbass Little Mark II. Don't let the small size/weight (5.5 pounds) fool you - it is the loudest 500 watt amp I ever heard. Sounds great!
  4. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    +100 for the GK.

I just played a gk 2001rb through a gk 410 and 115 and it friggen rocked.

To give you a little bit more insight before I played the GK rig I played through an ampeg 810 and svt, the GK had WAY more punch, low end, and articulate high end.

Some may disaggree with me on this, but I even thought the GK rig was louder.

Although the GK 2001rb will be out of your price range, you can always check out the 700rb-III model and the 1001rb-II model.

5. slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I want a nice deep, rich low, punchy mids, and bright highs. I know that is practily impossible to find, but a really bright high would be great.
  6. slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Oh yeah. And just so you know, $650 is REALLY pushing my budget, let alone 600. I know I have 500 though.
  7. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Don't we all. ;)

Then don't kill yourself, go for the GK700RBII. You should be able to get the sound you're looking for and it's very LOUD. I've been able to keep up with two guitarists playing through Marshall half stacks with plenty of headroom to spare. Cuts through very nice. I paid $500 for mine at last November.
  8. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

You essentially sumed up GK.

If the 1001rb-II is out of your price range then go with the 700rb-III.

Same amp insted of 700watts into 4ohms with the 1001rb-II, You get 480 with the 700RB-III.