Need help with GSR 396

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soontobedead, Jul 14, 2005.

1. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    Hi there

I just was wondering if you guys know anything about the Ibanez GSR 396 6-string... i own a GSR 205 5-string and wanted to try a cheap 6, so...

i think it ain't too bad and due to my limited budget (500 bux) and the minimal amount of choices i got down here where i live (not US).

i haven't found any reviews (not even in harmony central...) and it isn't sold in music123, musicians friend or Zzounds (which often carry reviews with the products)... the guy at the local store is an Ibanez salesman, so he's got it in stock.

i wanted to hear if any of you people had previous experience with this bass... good or bad... post it.

please, i know that it's not a MM, Toby or Alembic... so refrain from saying "forget that P.O.S.... get a ________" ... none of those are in my budget right now... so bear with my acute poverty.

Thanks in advance
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Never ever heard of a GSR 396... lowest model 6er ive ever heard from
    Ibanez is the SR406
  3. -where did you see this bass? Like tplyons, I've never heard of a GSR-396.
  4. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    yeah... i know... i've never heard of it either... it's not even on the ibanez website... the bass is on a store here in my country... the guy is allegedly an importer and the bass sits in the store with the tag and all... and when u buy it, it comes in a box and all... I've seen other basses in that store and they ARE on the ibanez catalog... i thought u guys knew something... kinda weird... a scam, maybe?
    It does look good... i guess i'd have to try it... it doesn't "look" like a rip-off... maybe i'll give it a test drive one of these days and figure it... ---> link to a picture of it... on the picture it looks kinda wine colored... but the color is matte walnut
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Could be a model not meant for US sale, explaining why none of us recognize it. But I can't find any information on any other Ibanez site.. Hmm
  6. Several hits came up for me- all in Spanish, I believe. I dunno, it looks legit. You might try emailing or calling Ibanez to confirm it if you're suspicious. I wonder if the bass is more like a GSR or an SR. Again, I like Ibanez 6-strings.
  7. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    well, i googled "ibanez GSR 396" and all it came up with was peruvian (ehere i'm from) and chilean sites that sold it... and all where auction sites like e-bay... the only english site the search returned was a bass forum (the international institute of bassists) where it was briefly mentioned...
    It's either a rip-off or (hopefully) a non US distributed model...

Thanks a bunch anyways dudes!
  8. V4bl3s

Oct 24, 2008
    It’s actually an official Ibanez model made in China but they stopped production years ago.
    Ibanez still have parts available on their site.
    I have one and I have yet to find anything wrong with it.
    Good Instrument.