1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with install of Audere into Geddy Lee Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassDudeSA, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Hi guys. A month ago I purchased an Audere preamp to experiment and see how I liked it if I installed it into a MIM Jazz. When I found out that I didn't need to solder anything I went for it. The install was easy. Two wires for each pup, ground wire from bridge. Easy. Sounds great, I'm now an Audere fan.

I definitely prefer my Geddy Jazz over that MIM Jazz, so now I want to upgrade it too. Just received another Audere, popped open the Geddy electronics cover and crap, not so easy.

Many more wires. In this case, each pup has a cloth covered black wire, cloth covered white wire, and plastic covered black wire. All but the white ones are first soldered into a screw mounted into the cavity, then from there up to the electronics.

What to do? Two from each pup go into the Audere. I believe the white ones, but then the plastic coated black ones OR the cloth covered black ones? And how do I deal with the wires that are soldered to the cavity? Just cut them away from the cavity and then into the Audere? If anyone out there has modded a Geddy with an Audere, or just knows what to do, I'd certainly like your help. By the way, I need to do this without any soldering, and with the Audere I shouldn't have to. Thanks. :confused:

2. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Hmmm, I modded my Geddy with an Audere...but at the same time I swapped out the stock ones for Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. I don't remember having trouble figuring out which wires went where.

3. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Got to love Fender - lots of small wiring changes...

Cloth covered wires should be the coil connections - they go to the green connector

Do the 2 white wires connected together electrically?
    If so then they would be pickup commons and the blacks would be the hots (Fender has used both black and white as hot over time)

All the other black wires go to the grey/white wire.

If you run into more problems email or call...

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I believe that the 2 black plastic covered wires are from a copper plate under the p/u. These should go to a common ground.

5. Audere

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Grey/white is ground.

I suspect in addition to the 2 pickup plates he also has
    1 black wire to the bridge
    1 black wire to a lug connected to the cavity paint

Fender might have skipped the lug and use the plate under the neck pickup to connect to the paint - they do this in some cases but more often there is a separate wire.

6. Thanks for the info Dave, I wasn't expecting to get a response here from one of the Audere guys, that's cool. I'll try my luck tomorrow with the new info you have given here. If I run in to trouble I'll give you a call, thanks.

I gotta' tell you, the fact that this is done without soldering is what sold me onto your product. I have zero electrician skills and have never even owned a soldering gun. I know it is probably not hard, but I just never got into it. The easier the better, for me.

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Dave rules. Still really really digging my preamp Dave. :ninja: even if its .000003mV hotter.

8. I had to do a little "custom routing" and paint shielding for my JZ3 to fit my SX Geddy clone, but I'm amazed by the tonal variety I have now.

9. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA

I had to break out the Dremel to work on my Geddy, too, but it was a very small amount of wood that had to be removed. Could have done it by hand with sandpaper, but with the Dremel it was about 10 minutes' work. :) As I recall, it was the 9v battery that didn't fit well, not the Audere unit itself.

10. Yup. Had to make room for the battery to fit... Used a rubber band to hold it to the board, worked out a lot better that way, FWIW.

11. Audere

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Thanks for the feedback...

Given all these bodies must be cut on a CNC router why would some be a different width?
    Anyone know what is a typical real world spec for a big CNC router?
    Maybe just Paint Buildup? - seems very thick in some cases...

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ummm, isn't the Geddy a MIJ/CIJ bass and the OP's original install was a MIM ? That could account for some of the difference.

FWIW the pre is a tight fit in my MIJ 75 RI but I didn't have to route. I did find a Duracell 9v that would just not fit. I pulled it out and voila - larger than the Energizer it was going to replace. So I'm sticking with Energizer's in there. The size diff wasn't huge but there was enough that it caused the battery to ride forward by near 1/4 inch due to the cavity shape. The Energizer fits like a charm... who knew ?

Oh yeah, Hi Dave!

13. Yeah, and mine is an SX, and I don't know anything about their routing process. It wasn't difficult, though. My main concern was routing through the back.

14. OK, success! As stated above I connected the four cloth covered wires to the Audere and the black "bridge" wire to the Audere ground. Everything works great, sounds great, no problems (hopefully). However there are a couple more wires in there (one plastic covered wire from each pup) that are still soldered to a screw on the bottom brass part of the cavity, and I think one or two other random wires in there that have one end not connected to anything. It's like putting a car back together but having extra pieces left, but it still works great. Only other problem is that I REALLY had to push that control plate down, squishing the battery (which barely fit due to this cavity being smaller than what Audere suggests) as well as all the fairly long and thick wires that are in there. But squished and pressed into place, it works perfect.

I'm sure a pro would have routed out the cavity a little, shortened the wires, and dealt with the extra wires as they should be, but as of now, with the control plate on, who'd guess that it looks like a mess inside?

I will say that even though I don't understand it, the cavity in this Japanese Fender appears to be MUCH higher quality than in the MIM Fender that I also recently dealt with. The MIM was easier to install with the Audere, but this Geddy model is certainly the better instrument. Thanks for the help guys. I'm set now, but just in case my "squishing" did some harm inside the cavity, for a while I'm not gonna' travel with only this bass, but I sure am happy with it as it stands now.

15. Audere

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    2 no care options:
    1) The battery was very tight and you shoved the battery down.
    2) The cavity is not "deep enough" but we use rubber washers on the controls and this creates some give - not a problem...

But there are 2 other options which should be fixed:
    1) A wire under the preamp but over the battery. This might cut though the insulation over time.
    2) Make sure the battery is forward of the battery catch in the end of the circuit board. This catch is present to stop the battery from sliding into the jack.

I would pull it up and look for these 2 problems
    1) Will cause a mark on the wire - if you have one - just tape it up (insulating it) and make sure it does not catch the 2nd time.
    2) The battery will normally have a visual indent or scratching on it. Just slide the battery forward toward the neck.

I think #2 is the most common problem.

Some of the Geddy models have different sized cavities because I have installed it into one with a bigger cavity.