Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with loose strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bobdob20, Mar 15, 2006.

1. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    I've looked around of the answer but i am getting really confused with the whole tension and gauge thing.
    I got a new 5-string bass, Ibanez GSR205 and have been playing it happily for about 2 weeks:bassist: , but I have found that the B and E string are a bit loose.
    Would getting higher tension strings make them tighter. Or higher gauge, I'm a bit confused on this.:confused:
    I'm not sure what strings I have on but the A, D and G strings are OK.
    If anyone could help get my confused head around this it would be a big help.
    And also I am tuned to standard B, E, A, D, G.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Something wound on a hex core like the DR Low-riders will give you more tension in your strings. Also, if it is just the B and E strings that you don't like, maybe a set of strings with taper cores may be what you are looking for...

3. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    What sort of gauge would I want. I've seen Medium - 45, 65, 85, 105, 125 of the DR Low Riders.
    I've also heard peolpe saying about needing to ajust the truss rod. Would I need to do this.

4. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    Would these strings be good?

Attached Files:

5. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    first off i would choose DRs and get a setup.

6. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    How about the DR Low Riders 45 65 85 105 130 ones

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    If all other things are equal, heavier strings will be tighter.