Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED HELP WITH MESA WALKABOUT!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallboybass, Jan 14, 2005.

1. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, I was hoping to post a review of my new mini-rig today. The WalkAbout just arrived and the Wizzy has a new driver in it. When I hooked up the rig, it started sputtering and cutting out. Then I cranked it up and it seemed to blow out whatever was wrong with it and sounded good. Upon nudging the low parametric up a hair, it went bad again. Could this just be a tube or what? I'm a SS man usually. I bought it on Ebay and it is supposed to be new. I've got a gig tonight that I need it for.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Alan

2. Venious

Venious Guest

Sep 1, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    A friend's new walkabout arrived about 2 weeks ago and has the exact same problem. I wonder if there was a bad run at Mesa that went undetected.

3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    This is a known problem with the Walkabouts. They had a run where there was a problem with, I believe, a wire in the input jack area. Easily fixed and once fixed, not the subject of any more problems.

4. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Wow, I sure didn't know that!

After reading a post below about a GK 1001RB with the same problem, I put a jumper in the effects loop and VOILA it works fine. Then I took it out and VOILA, works fine. I don't get it. Now I don't know if I can trust it for tonight's gig. Any other input on this mystery?

Thanks......and TB rocks!
    Alan

P.S. This amp sounds awesome!

5. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Yeah, it will work sometime, and sometimes not. I had this same problem with my first one. I found that it wouldn't play for 15min straight. Took it back, got a new one, played it for 30 min in the store, and thus knew it wasn't one with that problem. I seriously suggest calling Mesa. The operator will put you through to customer service, and if the guy's not free, they're fairly good about calling you back. They might be able to tell you exactly where in the wiring the problem lies.

Even if you have to get a wire soldered, keep the amp. It kills in all kinds of rooms and all kinds of gigs. Tone that consistently causes non musician audience members to come up and mention the bass.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It's not really a mystery, it's one of the most common failure points in musical instrument amps. There is a switch in one of the jacks, typically the return or power amp input one. If it gets dirty, or physically impeded (as may be the case with the Walkabout, from the sound of it), signal continuity is broken. "Exercizing" the switching jack by repeated plugging and unplugging often cures the problem. Jumpering takes the switch out of the equation. The problem is often worse in amps where the user does not use the EFX loop, since the dirt or corrosion just sits there. An occasional squirt of contact cleaner works wonders, but is best done with the amp apart in many cases. Contact cleaner is best confined to the exact areas that need it.

On of my most popular modifications is to permanently wire the switching jack out of the circuit, if the customer doesn't care about the EFX loop being operational, or doesn't have time to wait for a replacement jack to be procured. Permanent is perhaps too strong a word, as simply removing a jumper restores the full loop function to the amp.

7. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Excellent post Passinwind. I've never had that problem before. So it helps to "exercise the jack", eh? Hope it doesn't have to be exorcised!

So far the amp seems to be okay........I've been trying it out every hour or so to see if it will screw up again.

This thing seems to be full of old school vibe AND can sound fairly modern too.

Alan

8. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I guess I'm going to use it tonight. Seems to be working fine. Definitely bringing a jumper cable though.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I love the Scout, I use one at open mike pretty often. It sounds great with my EUB for funk and hip hop, when I want a big pillowy bottom end. The bass sounds completely different than it does through my EA rig, definitely more Old School through the Scout.