Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with MIM fender p-special

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bob04, Jan 5, 2006.

1. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    hey, i got a new fender precision special for christmas, with a gold annodized pickguard, but i would like to put a b/w/b 3-ply pickguard on it as ive always liked all black p-basses, however, i cannot find one on the internet with the 4 controls which are on the bass that could be shipped to the U.K., could anyone help me? thanks
    Also, is there anything i should watch out for when changing the pickguard, shielding, etc.

2. Do a google for Jeanies Pickguards. They are one of the largest custom pg makers in the world. They'll make you anything - if they don't have something in stock for the application.

Changing one out is really easy. Nothing to worry too much about except putting your pots in the right holes.

3. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    cheerz, i emailed them, and am awaiting a reply.

I was wondering, could i buy a normal precision pickguard, and then mark, using the current pickguard, the control holes, and cut the holes using a drill? i have checked and i think they would be the same size, and both have 13 screws.
    Thanks

4. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    hey, i'm on the same ship, i'm looking to get rid of the 'golden' pickguard
    let me take a look at that site, brb

5. skot71

skot71

May 22, 2014
    My son has the same bass. It is possible to drill one more hole for the 4th knob, but the spacing won't be the same as original. He had a mirrored pickguard with 3 holes, and I drilled one more. So to answer your question, you can modify one, but it won't look the same. The first 2 knobs will be too close together.