Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with music collage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 311 fan, Jan 1, 2001.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    I was reading bass player magazine and found a great ad at Berklee Music Collage. Seems interesting. But I have no idea what it is. Would it be expensive? Would I get my moneys worth? What do you even learn their?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Hopefully, you learn to spell C-O-L-L-E-G-E there. ;)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could get some old Bass Player mags, cut out pics of basses, players, amps, etc., then paste them on a big sheet of foam-core. Then put a coat of polyurethane over it all, and you've got a pretty cool-looking collage.

4. Slater, Munjibunga - you guys are mean....

and you beat me to it!!!

5. Would it be expensive? Yes.

Would I get my moneys worth? That depends entirely on you and how much you put into it, just like with any other schooling.

What do you learn? All about performance, LOTS of theory, even some recording, lots of jamming with other students. You also should look into BIT if you're serious. Or on a smaller scale, see what your local Junior College has for music theory classes and even electric bass classes.

6. expensive, yes
    worth it, up to you

check out http://www.berklee.edu/

i went to a 5 week intensive summer program there to see if i wanted to enroll in the yearly classes. after 5 weeks i didn't but thats just me. they still offer the class so you might want to check that out first.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...here's the biggie-
    You should know how to read standard notation prior to entering Berklee(or any music college)...right?

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Jim is right.

You don't have to have Will Lee reading chops, but you should be able to look at a relatively simple piece of music and be able to translate it into sound, either on your instrument or by singing. One more thing, you'll have to learn to read treble, alto and tenor clef too. Other courses usually include things like Orchestration, music history, harmony, counterpoint, ensemble performances and private lessons, with juries at the end of the semester, in which you have to prepare a piece to perform in front of two or more instructors so they can evaluate your improvement.

None of that will come to pass, however, if you don't pass your audition. The way education is in the U.S., I don't think they'd turn anyone down if they were somewhat competent. There is a music fundamentals course available (at my university, anyway) which serves as a remedial course for music majors who need a better grasp of the basics. The course, however is a General Education course and it is my Personal opinion that going to a music school without knowing the fundamentals is like being illiterate and wanting to be a journalist, (although some of the stuff I read in newspapers makes me wonder how literate those people are, but that's enough about me).

Here are some basic things you'd be better off knowing when you get into a University as a music major:

Scales (Major, Minor, Dominant)
    Arpeggios (Major, Minor, Dominant, Major seventh, Minor seventh, Diminished, Half-diminished)
    Modes (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Myxolydian, Aeolian and Locrian)Any key, two octaves.
    Some harmony.

Usually, there's a placement test all new students must take to be placed at appropriate levels. Also, you'll have to fulfill General Education requirements too and candidly I must say that you might have a bit of trouble with english; wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

If you have a local community college, you might be able to take a few lower division courses there and save a bunch of money. A lot of courses should be transferable and applicable to your degree.

DO work on your spelling, though. Please?

Will C.:cool:

9. One thing you didn't ask that you might have been wondering is what will a Berklee education get you. From my experience (I attended, my sister is there now and I know a lot of grads) It's good if you want to become a music teacher or go into production. Majoring in Mus. Ed. or MP&E will prepare you for a real career, not turn you into a monster bassist. Bass will simply be your principle instrument during your studies.

As an electric bassist, majoring in Performance would not be the most cost effective thing to do, 'cause no matter how much school you attend, if you don't got it, someone else is gonna get the gig, Berklee degree or not. If you want to just be a bassist and nothing else, find a good teacher and practice your a$$ off and play with people better than you.

It's a LOT of work. And it's all progressive. You can't stay in ear training 1 and harmony 1 forever. You either have to get it, pass the course and use what you've learned to go on tho the next level, or go home. Honestly, most folks end up going home. Especially, like BW & Jim said, if you don't have a lot of the skills and knowledge under your belt to begin with.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Would Nathan East be one of those guys? (His degree is from U.C. San Diego ... dunno if it's in Performance). Sucker's good though, ain't he?

11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    As a music school dropout (I studied jazz bass at DePaul U. in Chicago for a year) my first reaction to people who express interest in going to music schools is to tell them not to do it...unless they know what they're getting into. I agree with Ed Fuqua's post; in order to make the most of a place like Berklee you need to go in there with a solid grasp of fundamentals, so you can hit the ground running and play with all the cool cats. Otherwise you'll be paying $25k a year to learn the same sharps and flats you can find in a $10 Mel Bay book. The reason I dropped out of music school was that I was spending so much time looking at the nuts and bolts of music that I started to lose the sense of joy and wonder that music brought me, and it was no fun anymore. I switched my major to philosophy, which stretched my mind in many ways that improved my experience of music. On the other hand, I know several people who have had absolutely fabulous learning experiences with music school, including Berklee, so do your research, follow your heart, and good luck!

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    damn, all you music school guys....I just went to the Army school (of music)....they yelled at me.....I cleaned toilets....oh, but they paid me and I *did* learn to play.....eventually.

13. I spent so much of my childhood learning the "nuts and bolts of music", that playing felt like a chore - it had to be done "the right way".

I was so much happier when I decided to just play for the love of playing. It took me a whole new level of enjoyment of the art.

I'm happy to say that I no longer dwell on doing it the right way, I just play where my creativity takes me, and I've been lucky enough to have the talent to do it, and be moderatly successful at it.