Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Hey, i currently own an epiphone explorer bass and i have a few problems with it. The first one is i find it hard to play whilst standing up (especialy with slapping), if i let go of the bass while im standing up it will just drop horrizontaly making it realy hard to reach the top frets, so the only way my bass is playable whilst standing up is to rest/push my right arm down on the top of the body. This isnt realy that much of a problem untill i start to play slap where i can't rest my arm on the top of the body so i am forced to hold the bass up by my fretting hand, this can get realy hard when i am changing frets fast.

My second problem isnt that important, this is to do with slapping. One of my pick ups is right at the bottom of the neck (take a look ) and anyway this certain pick up makes it harder to play slap because its hard getting your finger under the string to pop (especialy when playing fast.)

If i could i would probably buy a new bass, but im only 15 so money is a big issue for me and i realy like my bass just at times it can be a pain in the neck.

So is there any advice you guys could give?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    If you're using a nylon strap, get rid of it and get a leather strap... should solve your holding problems...

As far as the pup goes, doesn't look like you have much to work with... they placed that pickup right up against the base of the fingerboard so you won't be able to effectively slap on that bass... period. Edit: Guess you could always have that pup removed and use the bridge pup only if you're really wanting to get it out of the way, would probably kill your tone though.

3. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    i am using a leather strap... :eyebrow:

I am still finding it hard

4. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    well first try tightining the strap so with out holding it its closer to your body also spalping takes practice once you get good at it normaly youll have no problem playing standing up.. so for now just keep practicing it takes time and effort...for most ppl but for me it took alot of practice so just keep playing and stick with it :bassist:

5. I had the same problem with my bass...I play it more or less like Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse, with the bass pointing almost straight up (like a contra bass) but found that it was slipping to the horizontal position all the time. The way I fixed it was simply moving the strap-lock peg to the back of the bass, about 1/3 of the way forward and about 3/4 of the way to the top of the bass body. This shifted the center of gravity, and allowed my bass to sit where I wanted it without having to hold it.

As for the p/u being in the way, what about lowering it? Or routing out the body under it if you don't have room to lower it. This might lessen the effectiveness of the p/u though, so you might want to switch to an active p/u.

Cheers.

6. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Confused, please explain to the simpleton :p