Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with my cheap broken Eden WT300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstrader, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Hey I got this incredible deal on a WT300, knowing there was a problem with the preamp. I finally got a chance to turn it on and play it and wow does it have problems. The bass comes out all fuzzy. Like a distortion pedal cranked with no high end. and really quiet. And then there's the noise random clicks and pops - really loud.

So in 5 minutes this is my diagnosis. Mind you I only played my roscoe through it, I haven't had it apart to even look.

1) 1994 vintage. pots need cleaning real bad. Input jack is loose and needs resoldering/replacement. Could be a bad cap in the power supply too I guess.

2) new tube a must. I'm thinking it's so tired from being almost 10 years old that it just doesn't have the will to stand up and sing anymore, so it just kind of sits there and grunts.

3) your input encouraged.

I was told the power amp was fine, that's what he used it for. I'm definitely feeling good about it at this point, I'm optimistic there are no major things wrong.

Basstrader

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The problem you describe could be caused by:

1. The tube.

2. Broken solder joint on the input jack or the input jack itself may be bad.

3. Dirty connection in the switch built in to the effects return jack. Check for this by running an instrument cable or patch cord between the effects out and the effects return jacks.

Good luck. The WT-300 is a cool head and you should enjoy it when you get the problem sorted out.

Chuck

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What happens if you plug your bass into the effects return? If the signal is still distorted, then there's a problem in the power amp...if not, it's in the preamp. Neither one should be that expensive to fix...

4. first thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

But as far as I'm concerned power amps are expensive to fix. I bought a $40 amp (GK 200RCB) a while back and ended up putting $85 just in parts into it. Mostly it was expensive power transistors ($10 each). I also had an 800 RB that had the power section literally blown up - burned a hole right in the circuit board. Had I not been able to get those transistors for free (I needed 5) that probably would have been about $30-40 right there. As it was I ended up spending $25 on other parts and paying a buddy $100 to do the work.

I had a little combo amp (another GK wouldn't you know) that all it needed was a spray of pot cleaner in all the pots and that thing was as good as new.

anyway I bought some used tubes off ebay and will try one tonight. A little contact cleaner and touch up the solder joint and away I go! Hopefully. But for $200 I don't think I could go wrong.

Stay Low!

BT

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    True, power transistors aren't cheap...but they're cheaper than matched 6550s and a huge output transformer...

Good luck with your amp!!!!

6. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    My WT400 was cutting off randomly, so I popped it open and found a leaking power capacitor. Check yours for any bulges or fuzz growing on them.

I got my capacitors from Digikey. Cost $25 with shipping for FOUR 4700uF caps. Some other websites were charging $30 PER CAP!

If you're repairing solder joints, and use some paste flux so you get a good clean joint. There were a TON of cold solder joints inside my WT400.

7. The output power transistors Eden uses on their WT series amplifiers are very heavy duty and not too likely to fail. I would look more at the preamp section.

If you patch a signal into the Effects Return, you can feed the power section directly to test it out.

The Tuner Out comes directly from the 7025 tube, so you can test the tube and input.

I would suspect that you have dirty/bad jacks or potentiometers. The 1/4" jacks on my WT-500 are Neutrik, which should be relatively easy to find. The input jack on my WT-500 failed, as well as the Effects Return jack. If the Effects Return jack is intermittent, you will get either no signal, or a fuzzy signal. A patch cable between send and return will eliminate the symptoms.

If you need further help, I may know where to find a schematic for you.

--

kevin

http://www.sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca/~ab752
    (my own home page.... imagine that!)

8. After taking out what seemed like 3 dozen or so screws to get the cover off, a simple tube replacement has given new life to the beast, at least 99% of new. Still a couple of crackles on certain pots, so a little squirt of cleaner and it should be as good as new. I'm planning to take the preamp board out and check solder joints and get to the pots, so for about $4.50 for a used tube, I'm ecstatic about the results.

Now if I only had a nice 2x10!

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Wow, an Eden WT-300 for $204.50!!! Good for you!

Also, I'm glad that it was that simple.

The Avatar B210 just got a great review in Bass Player..it will cost you more than your amp though.

Enjoy!

10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Just a bad tube! How sweet it is.

Chuck