Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with my eden wt550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lil'bass, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Ive just got my first eden head after disliking my first ampeg.
    This sounds lame but ive only ever used a graphic eq before whereas my eden has a semi parametric.

I understand the theory behind how it works but am yet to find the tone im after. I like a warm sound as i play funk style bass lines but i need excess punch to get through two guitars....but i dont want the choppy string slapping top end if that makes sense.

I use a warwick streamer stage 1 4 string.

I seem to be getting all the sound around the note but not the punch.
    Please can anyone help or suggest some eq settings....

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its an Eden. Set everything straight up at 12:00 o'clock and you aren't far away . . .

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if youre trying to cut through guitars, boost high mids. use the mid parametric knob and start at around noon. thats 1k. keep turning to the right if thats not the frequency you are looking for. start the boost knob at around 2 to 3 oclock.

the eden set flat isnt really flat because it has a high mid cut. boosting in that frequency range is putting back in whats taken out to start off with.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    definitely the way to go is to try boosting mids somewhere
    if the mid knob doesnt cut it you can try using the low parametric know to boost low mids (try 350 as a good starting point)
    whatever you do don't boost too much as that will sound artifical
    you can also try cutting some lows (either with the bass knob or with the low parametric eq set at 30 or 40 hz) and turning the amp up louder than you could with the lows set flat

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

my old WT400 isnt so different at all in the EQ section, and here's what helped me:

while in rehearsal, and all the tone knobs set flat/noon, first, try working with the outer treble and bass knobs. so, first, i'll turn a particular knob left and right, until i hear a difference in tone. if it helps, i'll keep it at that particular setting. if not, i'll put it back to flat/noon.

as for the middle set of EQ knobs, i'll first boost a particular knob, then spin the upper "frequency" knob, looking for the frequency that helps my bass sound stand out better. e.g. i'll boost the "low" knob (not to be confused with the "bass" knob) to around 3:00, and turn the frequency knob to find a frequency that works for me.

but my own rule of thumb:

for more chest pounding punch, boost the frequencies around 125-180Hz.

for a fatter, thicker low end, boost around 40Hz.

for a tighter less boomy bottom end, cut the frequencies below 75-80Hz.

to eliminate the boxy upper mid feel (helps with fingerstyle), cut around 1-2.3kHz.

for more top end airy detail, boost around 4-8kHz.

and, i'll usually cut the frequencies around 250-400Hz to let the bass sound breathe a little, not sound too woolly, and help unbury the vocals and guitars.

course, this is what i found works for me, when i played around with the knobs as i described above, and is obviously different for your basses, cabs, etc.

also, remember that the more lows you add to your sound, the more you'll tax your amp's power section. thus, opening the door to power amp distortions, which leads to cab farting, which can lead to not only a lower volume, but also to a blown speaker! best to try cutting some high end for a fatter more low bassy sound. and better still, to turn down your tweeter, too.

good luck!

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I try to use my bass to give me a bright tone first. The Eden't got so much natural warmth, so it doesn't take much tweaking to accomodate that part of the equation. Use your pickup blend/tone knob/onboard preamp to give your bass a bright, snappy feel, and then smooth it out on the Eden.

7. Thanks so much for your help people, I expected a lot of pretentious 'do your homework' comments but you've all been a great help. I'll let you know how i get on.
    Thanks again

8. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I have a WT300, and I usually leave the entire EQ set at 12:00. I tweak the bass to get more Hi's/Low's/Mid's as needed. The EQ on those are powerful, and can be a bit intimidating.. but it'll give you a ton of great warm tones..