Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with my Fender MM pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jedi, Jan 16, 2004.

1. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    Yesterday I received a Fender Marcus Miller four string signature from a talkbass member. I immediately took the bass to my local guitar tech to get the neck checked out and have the action lowered. I noticed before hand that I wasn't getting any change in volume/tone out of the neck volume pot when it was turned, and I noticed a little scratching sound when it was turned all the way up. I mentioned this to the guitar tech and he said he would check out the pot (seeing as how the last bass I got off Talkbass I had to have the three pots replaced :( ). He called me earlier this evening telling me that he tested the neck pickup alone to make sure it wasn't the pot, and as it turns out the neck pickup is toast. So now I'm in the predicament of replacing the single pickup, or getting a new set. I've read that the pickups in the MM are Fender Vintage series. I'm not sure if I should just get another one to replace it, or if I should get a new set all together. In the past I've been interested in the Aero I and heard good things about Bartolini's (sp). Though I havn't played either. I really dig warmer, fatter, older vintage tone over punchiness. But the MM has been the most comfortable bass I've played and that is very important to me. Input from people who play, have played MMs would be ideal, especially if you've changed out the pickups. Thanks for reading Any info/advice on pickups would be greatly greatly appreciated. Oh, and I don't really slap all that much and it's not much of an important factor to me. Thanks in advance.
    -Kyle

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hmmm...definately a pickup post...moved!

3. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    I wrote the post in a hurry, and as i was driving directly afterwards, i realized i had started the thread in the wrong forum. Sorry sorry!:(
    -Kyle

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Carey Nordstrand NJ4's or maybe some Lindy fralins. I've heard these provide a more vintage tone than just about anything else.
    Hope that helps :)

Tim

5. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I'm bumping this because I am in the exact same situation. Got a MM from TB, and the neck pickup doesn't work. I was thinking of switching to Bartolini's pickups with a NTBT preamp, but I have no experience with them. I'd like to get some input if possible.

6. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    I'm hijacking my old thread. yay.
    I just received pickups from my old jazz bass from my friend i sold it to awhile back. The pickups were out of phase, so they are kind of weak. Anyways, i replaced the neck pickup with the older jazz...i'm trying to make sure i wired it correctly, because the new pickup works, but just barely, it doesn't add much tone. I soldered the white wire to the middle leaf thing on the neck pot, and i grounded the black wire to where the other black wires are grounded...is this all i need to do, the wiring that is? or ami missing something? If i wired correctly i suppose i need to get new pickups. Also, has anyone read that mod that that guy on Harmony Central made to his marcus miller, Tommy Thompson or something, where he messed with the pots? If anyone has tried this i would be very interested to hear there thoughts on it, etc.
    thanks for reading and any help that is offered.