Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with my fretless p

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vic_6, Jan 23, 2006.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i have a 77 fretless precision that im thinking of adding a j pup to. im not exactly sure where to put it. ive searched here quite a bit and never really found much...

so you guys with fretless p/j's, in what position is the j pup? and what kind do you use?

and does anyone know the answers to my questions above with regard to tony franklin and juan alderete's basses?

and is the only way to resolve the hum is to get a humcancelling pup? since those are quite impossible to find over here.

thanks!

vic

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Sweetspot in my experience is relative to multiple variables (pickup being used, acoustic propterties of the individual bass, etc.). Many in the know have stated it's only good for open tones and changes with every fretting. I've experienced it both ways and half way in between.

Fender 60's bridge is 31 1/2" from center of the nut to center of the pup and 70's is 31 7/8" to the same. Leo's are as good as any. Roughly 1 1/2" between the back face of the bridge closest P half to front face of the J pup. In my experience, it's not any critical calculation even though you'll read plenty to the countrary. I can stick pups wherever I want in my basses and it takes pretty much an inch difference to make any noticeable difference and the further you go up the neck the more spread it takes to tell a difference.

Never can remember what the inch to metric conversion is but there are plenty of conversions sites on the net.

I'm guessing most guys would just contact Tony and Juan and ask them. If they've made a P I assume they've made a J bass.

Surprised there's no HC HB J's available there. Sounds like a great black market opportunity. Buy them of ebay. If the seller doesn't offer international then email and ask. The only reason I refused anyone doing as much to date is langauge barrier and obviously that is not an issue for you.

Good luck