Need help with my ipod

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It's a 2nd generation ipod. I bought the usb/firewire cord for it and I connected it to my computer via usb. I'm in itunes and it's supposed to appear on the source menu when it's connected but it doesn't. I'm stuck now.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There has to be somewhere for me to make a "was it free?" joke here.

Brendan? Nick? Any suggestions??
  3. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well... if you have a mac.... make sure you have OS X, and the latest version of itunes. If you have a wintel machine (windows) just go to and download the latest version of itunes. It will have the drivers that should accomodate your ipod. if that doesnt work, try using firewire instead of usb.

4. If he's using Windows, not all windows PC's have Firewire ports.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    does the iPod say "do not disconnect" ?

if so, quit iTunes and load it again, the iPod should be there. if not, then yea, latest versions and all that, the iPod usually auto-recognizes, but on the off chance it doesn't(for whatever reason I don't know) reloading iTunes with the iPod still connected should do the trick.
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    FWIW it takes a while for my WIndows machine to recognise the Ipod (4G 40gb) (up to 1-2 mins) but it does say "Do Not Disconnect" as soon as I connect it.

It could be that your USB ports on the computer are not connected / enabled - try looking in the device manager.
  7. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I am positive that the usb port works on my computer, as I have used it for other things. The ipod doesn't say do not disconnect when it's plugged in. I have the latest version of itunes and I've tried reopening the program to get it to recognize the ipod. My computer is a PC and it doesn't have a firewire card. Soooooo yeah...
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Try if you cant get an answer from those guys, chances are you don't have an ipod! :D