1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with my Jazz!!! Hums way too much....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rocinante_x1, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Okay, I did a search, and came up with nothing. I recently bought a Jazz bass here on the forum from the Classifieds. It has seymour Duncan SJB-3 1/4 pound pickups. Before, It would hum constantly, unless i touched the control plate. Then I re-soldered all the connections, checked the grounding, and shielded the bass. Now, It hums just as much, unless i touch the strings, tuners, or bridge. What is going on?

All the solder joints are good, The grounding wire to the bridge is just fine, the bass is shielded... Could it be something with my jack?

I need help....

2. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Okay I posted this in the Luthier's section too... I did a search, and came up with nothing. I recently bought a Jazz bass here on the forum from the Classifieds. It has seymour Duncan SJB-3 1/4 pound pickups. Before, It would hum constantly, unless i touched the control plate. Then I re-soldered all the connections, checked the grounding, and shielded the bass. Now, It hums just as much, unless i touch the strings, tuners, or bridge. What is going on?

All the solder joints are good, The grounding wire to the bridge is just fine, the bass is shielded... Could it be something with my jack?

I need help....

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    sounds like a grounding issue..

but......

single coils are prone to hum anyways are you playing near a tv or something else giving you interference?

you didnt blow on the solder joints did ya?

4. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    It's most definately a grounding issue. Make sure the pots, pickups, bridge, and any other components are grounded TOGETHER. I generally designate the pot closest to the jack as my common ground node, and have everything ground to that in some way or another, then ground that to the jack.

5. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State

I have a tv in there, but its not giving me any interference, and i DO have fluorescent lighting, but even when those are off, it still hums alot. I didn't blow on the joints either. I know better than that. I just dont understand what it could be... Could it be that the bridge ground wire isnt touching the bridge enough? should i strip the jacket of the wire more, and expose more metal to metal?

6. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Got an ohm-meter? Test with it. Every point in each cavity should have zero resistance to the ground connector in the jack. And the bringe and strings too. Plus, re-read the entire thread on Star Grounding, and double check that. Stay up ALL NIGHT doing this! That's an important part of the experience too.

7. Can you quiet it down by mixing the neck and bridge pick-up volumes? If so, you have a normal ,dual single-pole pick-up bass.
    Josh

8. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    No, Everything is up at max. There is hum no matter what, unless the volume knobs are both down. It's a Standard Jazz bass. Two Single coil pickups.

9. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Amp?

10. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    No, its not my amp either. All my other basses sound just fine and non hummy through it.

11. Diablo666Bass

Diablo666Bass

Oct 24, 2006
    i have a cheap squier p bass and the same thing happens. the way i fixed it was, i got a better bass.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    FYI: Cross posting the same question in multiple forums is frowned upon here. I've deleted one thread and merged the other two into this one.

13. May I suggest the sticky at the top of this forum regarding shielding.

14. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    That bass is already shielded.

15. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I think your ground wire is NOT making contact with the bridge. That's exactly what those symptoms indicate.

Remove strings, remove bridge. You should see a ground wire that is supposed to make contact with the bridge. If it doesn't, you get that "hum unless you touch the strings" syndrome.

Been there, fixed that.

16. yeah but it has a lot of other tips than just shielding in there :) like star grounding, ground loops etc

17. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Also if your pickups were out of phase this would cause this issue also as the pickups would not hum cancel when both are up all the way.

18. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    You need to get out the ohm-meter and do a continuity check on your shielding and grounding. You can't just eyeball it. PM me for more details if you need.

19. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Well, my ground wire IS making contact with the bridge, i just dont think it's enough contact. I'll make sure.

20. maybe try a better shielded cable