Need Help With My New Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 98dvl, Feb 26, 2002.

1. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    I just received my Carvin RL1015 (1000W head, 4x10 & 15 cabs) set-up today.

I've got it set up, but I'm not sure I've got it all set up "right".

I'm confused about all this bi-amp, crossover, bridging, stuff.

The outputs in the back of the amp are labeled as follows:

Spk1 (low freq)
    Spk2 (high freq)
    Bridge Only

I've got it set up as follows:

Spk1 to 1x15 cab
    Spk2 to 4x10 cab

I have the switch set to "Bi-Amp"

I posted a post not too long ago asking for other's settings with this amp. A couple mentioned that they run the "full range" mode.

What exactly is the difference? Is there any advantage to either? What's the best way to set up my amp?

I just don't want to screw anything up and blow something up.

2. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    The full range is the little grey square button right next to your biamp frequency crossover. This is not the same as bridgeing. This will send the same signal to both cabs.
  3. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    If you run it in bi-amp mode you are sending any frequency(to a certain degree of accuracy) below what you have it set to(the knob next to the biamp switch) to spkr1 and any frequency above to spkr2. You can adjust each volume seperate with the amp1 and amp2 conrols above the master volume. This only works in nonbridged mode. I think that with a 115 and 410 this mode is best. Play around with this and see what you think.
  4. With those speakers, you can either run bi-amped or full-range. You cannot run bridged because the impedence will drop below 4 ohms.

So leave the speakers connected as they are and try it with and without bi-amping and see what you like. From what I've seen, most people prefer the full-range mode with that rig, but it depends on the sound you want and how loud you need to be. Full-range mode will be louder than bi-amp mode.
  5. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    So am I correct here?

Briding is when I connect the "bridge only" output of the amp to the first speaker, then connect the output of the first speaker cab to the input of the second speaker cab, and have the bridge switch in the back switched over??? Is that a series connection between the speakers?

(Forgive my ignorance, I'm a mechanical engineer and never paid much attention to all the electrical classes I had to take!)

I'm just trying to get a feel for what all the terms actually mean.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seemed as though the rig was a lot louder in BiAmp mode than it was in the Full mode. I'll have to check again when I get home for lunch.

Also, I planned to just used the 4x10 cab to haul around to practice at my buddy's place. I'd assume that I'd want to use the full range mode when just using one cab, and using the biamp (or full range- whichever sounds best) mode when using two cabs?

Thanks for all the help and patience here.
  6. Bridging is when you connect the speaker(s) to the bridge only output and engage the bridge switch.

Connecting from a speaker output to speaker 1 and then to speaker 2 is daisy-chaining and is a parallel connection, not serial. To run 2 cabs serially requires specially-built cables. All standard speaker cables are parallel.

The Carvin amp is designed to be bridged at no less than 4 ohms so you should not daisy-chain these speakers and run bridge mode with that speaker combination. You would probably get away with it at low volumes for a short while but if you try to crank it, the amp will shut down.

If you use only one cab, use full-range mode for sure.

Full-range should be louder than the bi-amp mode because all frequencies are sent to both amps and both speakers.
  7. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Maybe this will help clarify bridgeing. In your amp head are actually two amplifiers which can be run seperatly or "bridged" and used as a single unit. That is why you have three volume knobs. One for each amp, and a master. When you use the amps seperatly you can biamp them( split the signal by frequency). Or you can run each amp seperatly but at full range. Full range takes the same signal and sends it to both amps so you can adjust each cab seperatly. Like a right and left channel. Even though the signal is the same, it will sound different in a different cab. You may want to turn one cab up to match the other depending on the tone you want. With biamping it is a little different. Before the signal gets to the amps it is split up by high and low frequency and then sent out to the amps. This was designed to take advantage of and exploit your different cabs strengths and weakness. So now you can send your low frequencies to your 15 inch and your higher frequencies to your 4x10 with a tweeter. Problem with Carvin is the lowest split you can make is 200 hz. That is well above sub woofer frequencies which makes it kinda useless IMO. I would agree that it seems to be louder when it is biamped, Though I can't explain it. It seems it should be the other way around. Now when you bridge the amps together you are sending one signal into and out of the amps.(they become one amp). This doubles your output from the unit. (combines the channels) You have to make sure you are not overloading your amp or you can cause damage though Carvin has pretty good protection built in. Bridging is handy to drive a cab harder because it doubles your output in watts. You have to be carefull you don't overload your amp by running cabs that are rated under the recomemded Ohms. And the out put is now considered at a dangerous level which I can't explain. Holy Crap. This may be my longest post. If you aren't totally confused yet I will try harder next time. And this is propably not technically accurate, but is close enough.:D
  8. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    Actually, that helps a lot.

I went home at lunch and played around with things. Maybe I didn't have things set up the way I thought last night. I checked again and the bi-amp and full modes seem to be comprable in volume.

I'm sort of understanding this stuff now after some of the reading I've been doing. This forum is great.