1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with my Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SUNNyday r., Jul 26, 2007.

1. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Lucked out and got one. Now I am flip flopping on how much I like it. I know, poor me!:smug: Seriously, the only thing stopping me from being fully crazy about it is the action. It is too high for my tastes with the treble side being the most unacceptable. I have lowered the bridge as far as it will go and still it just doesn't feel right. No buzz problems by lowering the bridge even though it has only a tiny amount of relief. Really is just the D and G that are bugging me. Will the Hipshot replacement help to get some better adjustability? Oh yeah, the dual truss rods intimidate me a bit. My other basses I am not afraid to set to my liking at all but the dual system seems alot easier to make catastrophic error with. I know taking it to a reputable tech will be my best bet but will the Hipshot make a difference?:help:

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    The truss rods scared me a bit also. But I sat down with it and a 1/4 inch nut driver and did it very very slowly. The action on mine was really high when I got it. She is all set now.. just take your time and only turn them a tiny bit at a time.

3. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I was wondering if I am already sporting almost no relief how much is it gonna help? The whole action/relief can of worms still confuses me since there are so many opinions coming from really experienced people on TB. I am a hobbyist/hack but single truss rods are pretty hard to screw up unless you go crazy with it. I have had happy success getting my other basses set. Not being able to set up my own bass also steers me towards thinking the Ric might be more than I want to take care of. If I can't tweak it when it gets off a bit what is the point of having it? I know, the tone!:p Not like there are alot of cheap dual truss rods to practice on.

4. dumbdrum

dumbdrum

Sep 19, 2006
    NorCal
    This is my experience and observation so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The trussrods shouldn't be used to adjust action, just the relief. And it sounds like relief is as good as it is gonna get on yours. Tightening them may have the side-effect of lowering the action (the headstock may tilt back more, think backbow and you'll get what i'm saying) but shouldn't be the goal for adjusting. If the saddles are bottomed out I would suggest filing the nut or shimming the neck pocket (although your bass is a neckthrough so that isn't possible).

5. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I don't consider truss rods action fixers either. I think that is how people get into trouble with their necks. I was hoping Hipshot users would chime in. Or even Bad AssII users. The original bridge is functional enough but I have a real inner gripe about bridges without individual string height adjustment.

6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I should retort.. When I got mine it had never been adjusted with the original owner. The saddles were jacked way up. The neck was due for an adjustment and it made it possible to get the action where I wanted it. I find that in most used instruments I pick up this is the case. I always lower the saddles first, and make sure the nut isn't too high, usually on an instrument of this level though the nut isn't an issue at factory specs.

7. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    The nut seems rather well cut and only seems high to me on the E, and not much at that. This Ric was about as unused as it could be and didn't come with super bad used and abused set up. I am torn as to hold onto it or sell quick as I already have very reasonable offers on it. The thing gets me in a trance when I look at it though. So pretty but only marginal feeling to play. A wonderful sound that to my ears sounds like what a jazz bass can only sort of get close to.:bag: Don't flame me for that one!:p Anyone have a Warwick to trade?:D

8. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    If you're really not comfortable adjusting the rods, take it to a tech. He can tell you if there's anything wrong with it. Also get him to show you what to do, but make sure first that he's familiar with the idiosyncracies of Rickenbackers. Other than very old and abused basses, or ones with specific problems, I've never seen a Ric that you can't get a guitar-like action on. They usually go as low as low can be. It may be there are problems with yours, or it may just be that it needs a professional touch. I've had loads of Rics (I have 4 at the moment) and the only times I've had trouble getting the action right were on my old 8 string (a pro tech sorted that in about half an hour) and on my oldest bass where the truss rods needed replacing; not a huge deal. Don't give up on it before you've tried to put it right, you might be losing a great bass for little or no reason. I've done that in the past when I was scared of making adjustmenst and afterwards, when I learned what to do, really regretted it.

9. dumbdrum

dumbdrum

Sep 19, 2006
    NorCal
    From what I gather I don't think the Hipshot will give you lower height at the bridge, I think the advantages of the Hipshot are the ease of adjustment and the tail-lift fix. Please, don't install a BAII it will make me :crying:

As far as going to a tech, that could be the solution. If the saddles are bottomed out and the neck is nearly straight, the next step would be to slot the nut or the saddles and I would definitely have a tech do that if you aren't comfortable.

10. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    yeah, it's hard say without seeing it. i have a new 4003 and i could get the action plenty low with the stock bridge. i did replace mine with the hipshot though. can't say if it goes any lower but it is much nicer.

JR

11. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    +1