Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with my slap tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sunburstbasser, Mar 18, 2004.

1. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm having trouble getting a good slap tone. My gear at this point is whats in my sig except the Ashdown got stolen. So, using the Reverend, the GK, and the Avatar, what are good settings or advice for getting a better slap tone? Granted, the Reverend isn't the perfect slap bass, but it does the trick. What do you guys do with your passive Jazzes to get a cool slap tone?

Tones I like are old RHCP (Uplift Mofo era), Marcus Miller, and Stu Zender.

Thanks for any help.

2. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If its one of the older 400RBs I believe it has has a mid cut switch -- engage it. If its a newer 400RB, it has a contour knob and you'll want to set it for a mid-range dip. Keep the bass and treble controls set with a slight boost (not too much) and the mid-range controls set for with a slight cut (once again, not too much).

On the bass (assuming it has two pickups), set it so that both pickups are on full or perhaps with the neck pickup rolled back just a tiny bit. When both pickups are on, there's a phase cancellation that works well for slap and in fact, that's the way that Marcus sets his Jazz Bass.

You should at this point be in the ballpark for a decent slap tone...

D7

3. well considering i have an active + Passive bass i mostly use the active but i tend to use the passive sometimes...

Note: my neck pickup is lower than the bridge pup

on active i roll back towards the bridge pup to about 70 - 30 and on the bass 2 band eq i have the bass to treble about 80 - 60

and on passive i have the pup's slightly towards the neck than bridge about 60 - 40....and since the kubicki electronics were designed to not have an eq on passive i cant change that...but there are 3 completely different passive modes so i use the in-between mode the most...gives more of a jazz sound...

but to get the best slap sound...so ive been told...is to slap dirrectly above the loudest pup you have selected...that way you've not loosing as much punch as if your slappin right on the neck and have the bridge pup only....

well ive managed to confuse myself now

:confused: heath :confused:

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi sunburstbasser, I think I understand what you're asking, but it kinda depends on how you play. Slap isn't a "tone", it's a "playing style", and you can use all kinds of tonal variations to get a good sound. Typically when I slap, I look for good strong lower midrange (in the 100-200 Hz range, that might be considered "muddy" for fingerstyle). That's what gives you the "thump" for slap. I usually boost the bass and the treble, and scoop the middle mids around 400-600 Hz. As I recall, the GK has a mid-shaping switch, and I'd try experimenting with that to get the best sound.