1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help with my woody decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I've been saving for a fretless 4 string. I was hoping someones knowledge can help me out.

price range under 1500
    most importantly needs to have a natural oil finish
    fretless
    neck through, string through, 24 fret length with fret lines
    mahogany body with ebony fretboard (this is variable)
    jazz pickups, personally i like passive but if an active bass hit all these requirements it would be fine

So far the only thing ive found is making a carvin, which hits 9something. Anyone have any suggestions.. i love wood so thats one thing i would really like. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Well, with all the options you've listed, it sounds like you're either thinking in boutique territory, or you need a carvin if you are staying under 1500. Carvins are excellent basses.

The only other things that come to mind are a warmoth (though I think you'd be giving up the neck through option) or a used neck-thru warwick.

3. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
  4. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    those stambaughs look really nice but my 1500 was stretching the amount im going to spend. So probably carvin it is. I've mostly heard good things about the carvin. Being in school and shelling out a 1.5k or 1k for a bass youve never played is tough. thanks for your advice.

5. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.

I totally agree with you on the difficulty of purchasing a bass sight-unseen as well as the challenge of coming up with that kind of cash for a bass.

+1 on the Carvin. I've always wanted to try the LB70. Now those Icons look even better.

The nice thing about Carvin, is there's tons of used ones out there. You therefore have the chance to buy one used, try it out, and resell it without a loss if it's not for you. Of course, you'll probably just discover that you like them as much as all those other Carvin owners!

Good luck and keep us posted if you pick something up.

Chad

6. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Thanks alot for the advice. Now im thinking of doing this... pick up an extremely cheap fretless 4 with jazz pickups and searching for a used carvin, the used carvin not needed to have all the fancy stuff on my list.

My Question changes to this, whats a sorta ok jazz fretless thats super cheap. Buy super cheap i mean sub 500 or even sub 300 preferably... I've never owned a fretless so why not just get somthing to see if i even like it.

7. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    You should be able to find new and used MIM Jazzes in your price ranges. I've seen a lot of Yamaha (I think) BB300 fretli over the years as well. They seem to sell in the $300 range.

8. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Fender standard jazzies seem around that price, i wonder if these galveston's (i.m looking on ebay) are ok?

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I think a good candidate for your initial question would be a Warwick Corvette Std. Has many of the specs you are looking for: oil-finished bubinga body, ovangkol (or wenge if you find an older one) neck with ebony fingerboard (lined or unlined), passive or active electronics, J pups; can sometimes be had new for as low as $650-700. The fretless have been quite popular around here for their tone.
    Also, they usually pop up used and well taken care of.
    IMO a good used fretless Corvette for a good price would beat a Carvin.
    They are a bit on the heavy side, but the tone makes up for it.

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    http://www.rondomusic.net/Bassguitarfretless.html

Look for the essex megathread for many many happy testimonials.