1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with my Zon strings height

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papersen, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I generally use my basses with a medium low action and my Sonus 5 has always been like that. Combined with DR Hi Beams it delivers a sharp attack that`s simply killer to my years.

A couple of months ago I noticed a bit of fret buzz around 15th-17th fret, took it to my local luthier and he polished the frets in order to give it an even response and eliminate the problem.

The fret buzz is gone now, frets look shiny as the first day, but string height makes it impossible to nail the tone I was used to and tighter string tension is also killing my right hand.

Has anyone had this kind of problem with a Zon (or any other non-truss rod bass) ?

Any help / guidance will be appreciated. Thanks

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    So it sounds like the fret polish didn't get rid of the buzz, so he raised the action to get rid of it :(

Your only adjustment on a zon is saddle height, so you'll need to bust out the allen wrench and lower the saddles to get it back to what you like. You'll have to walk the line between playability and buzz-free sound.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Or he ground the frets so low the "action" is now higher. In either case, you can lower the action at the bridge.

4. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    It`s just like Ehque said.
    I`ll follow your advice, and you know what bass I`m talking about. Still remains as one my favourites.

Thanks

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Mine too, that bass is incredible. I hope he did a good job on the mill.

IIRC, the setup specs when I shipped that to you were a little bit above 2/32" on the G string and 3/32" on the B, with a steady increase in between. Thats measured from the top of the 12th fret with the string fretted at the 1st fret.

6. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ll follow your specs to see if it works.
    Thanks for your input.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    With a zon you basically drop the string heights until the upper frets become unplayable, then back off until they open up to be workable for the techniques you want to use up there.