Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with neck problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassplayajew, May 16, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I've noticed lately that the way i pick up my guitar affects how in tune it is. So I figured that the neck must be moving. To make a long story short, the screw holes that go through the neck and into the body are way too wide (the screws move around a lot which move the neck...). I'm thinking that I need to fill the holes and redrill them.

Is that the best solution? How would I fill the holes?

As always, I appreciate your help, so Thanks in advance.

chinjazz likes this.
  2. i'm not saying that filling the holes is necessary, but if you were to want to fill and redrill, you can drill the holes to a larger size and glue in a piece of dowel. cut it off on both sides and sand flush. then you can redrill.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    If the neck moves around, the problem is that the neck pocket is too wide (or the neck too narrow...).
    Filling and redrilling the screw holes may help for some time, but is not a cure. Perhaps if you shim in the neck at the same time. Then it would not move around and let the screws widen their holes... The sideways shift is probably the major part of your problem.

4. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Guys,

How about a piece of fine metal (not plastic) fly-screen that's used for sliding doors and windows...cut to the size of the body pocket and placed under the neck. That should make the neck rock solid. Saw this somewhere in a guitar repare book.

Cheers.

5. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    The reason i think that the screw holes are too big is because they're supposed to look like a O but it they look like 8. I tried to fill them with wood glue but it takes too long to do. Its not the holes in the neck though...its the holes from the neckplate to the neck. Those holes are too big, perhaps there was too much movement when I put the neck back on after sanding the guitar. Does anyone know how much it'd cost to have done professionally? thanks in advance.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    From my experience, the ovality of the holes would come from bad neck fit to the pocket. Then the neck can move, and the holes grow.
    OTOH, if the neck fits snugly in the pocket, the hole size is of less importance.

Check the neck fit. Put in some wood or metal shims, as needed. Drill out the oval holes and plug them with dowels. Carefully mark out where new holes should be drilled, and do the drilling. Attach the neck.
    If you do this with care and patience, you will do better than a pro, who'll charge perhaps $80(?), and probably do it in a hurry. Edit: they live by it, so they have to do several jobs in a pretty short time - hence the hurry...