Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ted, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Ted

Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    I received an Ampeg BA-110 combo amp as a gift, which replaces my bulkier Carvin that I didn't like lugging around. That said, I plugged in my MIM Jazz with both volume knobs cranked and the tone around 7. I immediately noticed that the sound was barely noticeable until the amp's volume was turned to about 3/4ths of full. The tone controls were set flat, being boost only. Even at full volume and flat tone, it was barely suitable for practice. Plugging into the "active" jack produced predictably lower volume. I would prefer to keep the tone flat on the amp itself. Is there something about the setup that I'm missing, or is it possible that the amp might not be working correctly?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'm not so sure that the EQ on the BA-110 is boost-only. I have a B50R where "5" is the flat setting for the EQ knobs.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That is a nice little amp, but it is only 50 watts and a single 10" speaker. The fact is, it isn't that loud. I can't imagine it being able to compete with drums and/or an electric guitar.

If you are running the output at or past 7 (out of ten) there is a pretty good chance you will clip the amp. At very least you have no room for signal spikes.

Perhaps you need to re-think your approach.

Chas