1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help with new Ampeg rig svt150 4 x 8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ebdogs, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ebdogs

ebdogs

Feb 25, 2008
    I recently have upgraded my practice rig to a "open mic" rig. I picked up a Ampeg SVT 150 H on ebay rated at 150 watts at 4 ohms.

When looking for a cab I wanted an ampeg but thought the 2 x 10 wouldn't cut it and searched for a svt 4 x 8 8 ohm. I am truly happy to find this cab I love it's sound sooo much punch.

But now I'm thinking about the 75 watts or so I'm wasting. I'd like to get a 1- 12 or 1-15 8 ohm cab to get to 4 ohms.

Can a 12 give me the lows I seek for my 4 string?
    Can I even power a cab with 75 watts?
    If so what cab is best?
    Anyone with the same equipment?

2. ebdogs

ebdogs

Feb 25, 2008
    Please some help here

3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    A 112 could help quite a bit.I used to use an Eden 210xlt that would do quite a few gigs by itself but at some of the bigger gigs we played could use some help.I bought a pair of Avatar 112s with the Delta LF speakers and one of them worked great with the Eden.You wouldn't think a single 12 would add much bottom and fullness to an already full sounding 210 but it really did.I'd bet a good 112 cab would work great with those 8"speakers.

4. ebdogs

ebdogs

Feb 25, 2008
    I think with my four string a 12 may get low enouph for me. I also want alot of attack, a 12 should outshine 1 15 here. Any advice on a 12 8 ohm low power cab?

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Personally, I think a larger 115 box (say at least 24x24x16.5) with a good driver in it will compliment the Eights a lot better, and will usually be a couple dB more sensitive/efficient than a 112.

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Greenboy makes a good point, but I think a 12" cab would also make a good addition. It would be a little tighter on the bottom and probably not give you those really low lows like a 15" can do, but not everyone's looking for that. If it were me, I'd get the 15", but a 12" isn't a bad choice by any means.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    For a stack that's predicated on shoring up what first cab could use a little help with, my approach is to get more xmax with sensitivity, and enough cab volume to actually let the driver use some of it. Then if I desire less bass, I EQ it out. Easier than trying to add some in with drivers/cabs that really have to work harder to do that while at the same time they are running into driver limitations.

8. ebdogs

ebdogs

Feb 25, 2008
    good point there greenboy.