1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with ohms...& decisions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iri5hpunk21, Mar 28, 2009.

1. iri5hpunk21

iri5hpunk21

Feb 1, 2009
    Ok, so I'm a fairly new bassist. I have a Peavey T40 and am in a band thats just getting ready to do some shows and have no idea what kind of amp im going to need. I have a GK Backline 210, but it's not cutting it.

Here's what I was thinking of getting

A Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...ttle-600-Watt-Lightweight-Bass-Amp?sku=482110

And I was thinking of running an Acoustic 115
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B115-250w-1x15-Bass-Cabinet?sku=600776

and some sort of 410 though the head.

couple questions:
    1) If i run two 8 ohm cabs through the head is it going to go down to it's 8 ohm 375W rating since i'm using 8 ohm cabs, or since they are both used will it be 4 ohm 600W?

2) would this set-up be overkill

3) any good suggestions for a 410 or alternate setup with that head?

Thanks, I know its a long post...

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi iri5hpunk21.

The GB Shuttle 6 is a contender, but you could do better in your choice of cabinets.

As a suggestion: The AVATAR ® B212 Neodymium bass guitar cab:

2X12" Eminence Neo deltalite2 LF neodymium (light weight) speakers

500 Watts power handling

55 lbs.

$369

Please note: These cabs are offered in either 4 or 8 ohms. Be sure to get an 8 ohm version if you plan on adding a second cab later on.

Avatar owners on TalkBass: 'Avatar Owners Club' Ask them what they think of Avatar's bass cabs.

--------

As to your questions?

1) Two 8 ohm cabinets = a 4 ohm load = the full 600 Watts from a GB Shuttle 6 driving a total of four 12" speakers (if you go with the Avatar 2X12" cabs).

2) I don't think that's overkill. It's better to have more power than you need, than to need more power than you have--especially when it comes to bass amps.

3) However, one cabinet is all you'll need for now until you are playing large rooms. An Avatar 2X12" neo 500 Watt 8 ohm cabinet = 375 Watts from a GB Shuttle 6. If you play this setup WITHOUT turning the Shuttle 6 up so loud that its power amp clips (distorts & sounds bad), you won't blow speakers, and you'll enjoy a loud, clean-sounding bass amp.

If you need more volume later on, you can add a second Avatar 2X12" neo 500 Watt, 8 ohm cabinet = a 4 ohm speaker load = the full 600 Watts Watts a GB Shuttle 6 can put out + 4X12" speakers moving air = a LOUD bass amp for big rooms!

BTW. Amp heads are run through cabinets, not the other way around. ;)

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to ALL that.