1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with paint color code

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chunger, Nov 3, 2010.

1. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Chunger basses by Studio 939
    Hello,

I'm trying to find more information on color code conversions. The two colors that I'm interested in are stock Fender colors:

vintage white (Fender code 41)

and

sea foam green (Dupont 2253)

For manufacture, they are requesting pantone color codes, and I'm having a hard time getting information on the exact colors so I can specify correctly.

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Ummmm... where are you going to get your paint? I'd probably just go with ReRanch, except I don't know if they ship to CA.

If you really need to know, you can purchase the 8 or more Pantone books and manually compare the color swatches to an actual example of the color you want. Or, you could buy photoshop, which I believe can determine the Pantone color of an image.

3. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    Hey Chung. There is not any info that I have found concerning the current Fender color codes you see on their color charts.

You can find the vintage colors and codes here. http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html You can take the info to an auto paint store and they can look them up in their computer, and get the color mixing codes. It may take a little leg work to get to newer updated codes.

Are the colors for your new line?

4. Cosmo420

Cosmo420

Sep 10, 2010
    Roanoke, VA
    Pantone codes wouldn't relate to paint colors very well. Pantone codes are for ink, and are transparent.

But, I have several Pantone books here, so I'd be glad to try to match it up for you if you want.

5. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Chunger basses by Studio 939
    I have to clarify with the factory rep, but I think they request a pantone color because it is a consistent physical reference to have when mixing as opposed to actually using the Pantone inks. Also, the pantone pallet is built into Adobe Photoshop for reference.

I went a friend's house last night to take a look at some color chips. I don't think the pantone has something that matches closely to the Fender colors, but I just picked out a couple that I liked a lot. An exact match is not the issue. Being sure of what I'm about to spray onto 40 instruments is.

6. Cosmo420

Cosmo420

Sep 10, 2010
    Roanoke, VA
    Pantone has tens of thousands of colors in their system. I bet they have something that matches. However, for it being built into Adobe programs... the colors on the screen are never very close to the real color.

7. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX