1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help with peavey 410TVX! @peavey tech

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D-MUC, Feb 21, 2008.

1. D-MUC

D-MUC

Feb 11, 2008
    Hi all, I need a bit of help. I recently got a used (6mth old) 410TVX (straight logo). Thought it sounded good loud, but at low volume it seemed a bit hollow sounding or maybe what people refer to as "scooped". To make a long story short, after reading some posts on this site, I thought the tweeter mod described on TB was the way to go. The tips that I found must have been referring to an older version TVX because the guts of my cab (x-over) are not like the descriptions that I found. I thought I could simply bypass everything and just run the 410's full range, so I soldered the woofer leads to a new jack. Cab sounded great but after a few minutes began to distort and get quieter. To make sure that the speakers were not damaged I hooked everything back up the way it was and it worked fine again. Surely it's possible to only use the 410's without using the circuit board and tweeter? Could it be that the speakers need to be rewired in a different configuration?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Here's a case where filling out your profile could help us help you. I t would be advantageous to know what amp you are using. When you say it's ok for a while then deteriorates, that sounds like an amp issue and not speaker.

If you're going to bypass the crossover, you need to know the individual speakers impedance and wire them properly.

3. D-MUC

D-MUC

Feb 11, 2008
    Thanks for the tip, I'll get on that profile!. I tested it with several amps. Mine btw is a GK400rb. Nope, Defo not the amp. Like I said, with crossover it was fine again. The drivers are 4ohm. I'll have to double check but I think are wired in series/paralell.

4. D-MUC

D-MUC

Feb 11, 2008
    anyone have any ideas ?...

5. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    On the 4 ohm 410TVX that I had, the lower two tens were wired together in series for a net of 8 ohms and the top two tens were wired together in series for a net of 8 ohms. Then both pairs were wired in parallel for a net of 4 ohms.
    You should isolate each pair to see where the problem is.
    It should work fine without the crossover and horn.
    -Les S

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Yep

7. D-MUC

D-MUC

Feb 11, 2008
    I'll have a look but, as I said, the speakers ALL sound fine agian when I re-attatch the crossover and horn. Could it be that the speakers require a crossover even if the horn is not hooked up?

8. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    No, the speakers don't require a crossover even if the horn is not connected.
    They will work fine full range - without the crossover.

9. D-MUC

D-MUC

Feb 11, 2008
    Hmmm... maybe the jack I used is the culprit. But realley, it's only two contacts, how much could go wrong? BTW, it's not the first time I've done stuff like this, which is why I'm at a loss.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

This mirrors my experiences with these cabs...

- georgestrings

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Les has it nailed - I've wired my 410TVX without the crossover and tweeter, and it worked just fine...

- georgestrings

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Something's not going correctly, as you should be able to hook up the (4) tens without the crossover and tweeter without any difficulties...

- georgestrings

13. D-MUC

D-MUC

Feb 11, 2008
    I'll try a different jack and see. Georgestrings, how did you like the sound of your cab w/o the crossover? Did it realley make much of a difference?