1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help With Pickup Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassistciaran, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Hello Ladies and Gents
    Ive got a problem with my strings banging off the pickup magnets and making a very annoying click.
    Any ways to fix this without changing technique? Different pickups?
    Anyone experienced this?

PS tried lowering pickups, but if I could have em back high and without that click, itd be PERFECT

2. k31bassman

k31bassman

Feb 4, 2010
    Nebraska
    Black or clear tape to cover the pole pieces?

3. Would that sacrifice tone at all? or am I just being hardware oblivious again?

4. k31bassman

k31bassman

Feb 4, 2010
    Nebraska
    I don't think so. Many pickup don't have exposed pole pieces. For example, some Precision-style pickups have solid covers. Tape would be so thin, I can't imagine it would have much effect. If you use the right tape, it won't even be noticeable. Also, easy to change back.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You could put a big slab of wood in between, it wouldn't change a thing as long as the material used is amagnetic.

6. Brilliant, Ill try this stuff out, thanks folks

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have to raise an obvious question.

Why not just lower the pickups a little bit.

8. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    Clear nail polish.

9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Change technique (you're hitting the strings to hard) and/or lower the pickups (see the all setup questions sticky thread).

10. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    it absolutely does affect the tone..

not the tape per se..lol, but having the pickup pole pieces so close the the strings..you lose sustain and may get audible artifacts as the magnet affects the movement of the strings... the "clicking" noise is the least of the issues here.

lower the pickups or raise the action..the only two things that can be done..