Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help With Pickups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by basslax, Aug 27, 2001.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I need e relitivley inexpensive pickup for my upright that i can use for both jazz and some classical. I looked at musicyo and they have one for $50. is that one even worth the money?? if not what are some brands i could look at for under $60-$70.

thanks
    basslax

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    FACEFACTS,

The truth is, you're going to need to spend a bit more money than that to get something you're really going to be happy with. For the cheapest decent option, I'd look at a K&K Bass Max. While they sound better with a preamp, you can get one for around $100 that will do a nice job until you can save up for the preamp, at which point it will sound even better.

DURRL

3. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Go for the K&K BassMax. Talkbass member Bob Gollihur (all hail) sells them for ~$90. Just used mine last night at a loud open mic. Sounds great and Bob's a pleasure to do business with www.gollihur.com

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i dont really have enough money right now considering im about to buy a URB. I just need something to get by on for now.

thanks for the help

5. I don't know if this will help at all but before getting my BassMax and Golden Trinity setup (which is an incredible value for the money, by the way), I picked up a condenser mic from Radio Shack, $30 plus the cost of a AA battery, wrapped it in a towel and shoved it under the tailpiece with the business end pointing toward the fingerboard.
    Not a great sound, but okay to get by on for awhile.
    And you could always use the mic for something else when you upgrade.

6. When i first got my bass i used a cheapo stick on double guitar type pickup,i can`t remember who makes them but you should be able to get one from your local gear shop.I peeled off the sticky stuff and wedged one in each side of the bridge wings.The results were adequate for starting out and gave plenty of volume.You should be able to get these for less than $25.

7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I think I have seen the Shadow single element PU going for about $60-65 somewhere. I recently installed one on my hybrid bass and it sounds alright, better than the Fishman that was on it before.

8. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    Basslax:

If you're still looking, I am planning to replace my Fishman transducer soon, and will sell it pretty cheap.

You can contact me by e-mail if interested:
    rtkcwyman2@hotmail.com

9. bullmoose

bullmoose

Jun 15, 2001
    Edinburgh, UK
    Is the general consensus that the BP-100 isn't very good? I'm happy enough with mine & they aren't cheap in the UK.
    It's a drag that they aren't the easiest thing try out in a shop. Is the K&K significantly better and in what way? The Fishman definitely has it's own sound when doing DI recording - does the K&K sound more natural?

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes. The K&K is not as "treble heavy" and provides a more natural tone. If you also have the preamp, you can tailor the tone to your taste, like seasoning food. For ultimate control of your sound, they can built a "Double Bass Max", which has an element on BOTH wings of the bridge, which also allows you to balance the top strings with the bottom strings. This also isn't cheap, but the versatility is worth it.

11. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I'll clarify what I meant in my post: I had the Fishman on for years, with old Thomastic strings on the bass. Then I put on a new set of Corellis, and suddenly I had trouble with feedback, finger noise and an "uglier" sound all in all.

So after a couple of problem gigs I went out and bought the Shadow, which gives a punchy, clean sound and is pretty feedback resistant. It was an improvement over the Fishman in this case.

As said, the Fishman worked well with old Thomastics. There are lots of factors involved.

12. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The Corellis are thinner and more "alive" than the Thoms IMHO (not making a quality judgement as I like them both for certain reasons) and as a result more likely to vibrate from ambient sound levels. They are also brighter, especially when they are newer.

The position of the Fishman and the K&K Double Big Twin have a more "stringy" character, due simply to their location, so proximate to the strings. They have different tones, however, due to a number of factors including the mounting method. Both also absolutely require a matching/buffering preamp.

The wing-mounted transducers, such as the K&K Bass Max (which has two transducers within, top and bottom) and similar pickups are getting a less string-direct sound, again, simply due to their location - the wood buffers the sound.

Finally, those mounted to the body or directly beneath the bridge get even more of a mix and the least direct sound.

Your taste in amplified sound should dictate your choice, and a mix of two different pickups can add audible perspective and "open" the sound a bit IMHO.

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    How difficult is the installation of the K&K? How difficult is it to take it off a bass and put it on an other?

14. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Both the Bass Max and Double Big Twin are easy to install. The Bass Max may require a little sanding of the bass wing to allow for the approx. 1/4" it requires. Once the bass is set up like that, you can take it off one bass and install it in another in 30 seconds. Slip it in, clip on the string jack. Done.

The Double Big Twin can be removed, but it's not designed for frequent removal; installation is just a matter of applying the special adhesive to the bridge and positioning the transducers, apply the string jack and you're done. You need to use a razor knife to carefully get beneath the transducer to remove them to put on another bass. Not something to do routinely, though.

If you have questions about other K&K products, let me know; most are similar.

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks a lot for the information, Bob. I don't think the Double Bass Twin would work for me, because it doesn't seem to transfer off a bass without having to replace the discs. I have a preamp/DI(SansAmp Bass Driver DI) that i use for BG (please don't shoot me), so i don't know how it will sound with a real bass. Anyone have experience with a SansAmp for DB?

16. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Yep, I own one and it sounds fine, I've used one with my basses; just be judicious with the controls. It also has an input impedance of 940K ohms when active, reasonable for use with piezo based pickups like the K&K and others. If I were to have to choose one pickup only, it would be the Bass Max.

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Bob, i just sent you an email with my order. If you have any problems PM or email me. Thanks.