Need help with poly rhythms

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by hateater, Jan 25, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I could never play the drums. Linus & Lucy? Forget it. This is really driving me crazy. Now that I am in a piano class, I am being forced to play with my left and right hands at the same time. With some practice I can play the songs, but it is still difficult.

I need to know if there is anyone else here who has (or still is) experienced these sort of problems, and what sort of exercises do you reccomend?
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i have that problem. heres what i do. i work my left hand technique real slow. i build it up to real fast (or whatever tempo i need it at) and make sure i have it down. then i work the right hand technique liike my left hand. usually i have to start both hands together moderately slow...but it comes quick because each hand alreay knows its peice.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There's some very, very basic tapping exercises a drummer once showed me...I have posted a couple times here @TB already. The advice was geared more towards 'slap & pop' techniques.

The idea is to tap 4/4 with one hand while counting in 3, 5, 6, etc with the other.

RH=/1----2---3---4---5----6----/ = 6 beats
    LH=/1-----&-----4-----&-----/ = 4 beats

The 4 component is on "1"; "& of 2"; "4"; "& of 5"
    Naturally, you would want to reverse hands, too(RH= the "4" LH = the "6")

RH=/1---2---3---4---5---/ = 5 beats
    LH=/1----e----&----a----/ = 4 beats

The "4" component is played on "1"; "e of 2"; "& of 3"; "a of 4".

RH=/1---2---3---/ = 3 beats
    LH=/1--a--&--e--/ = 4 beats

The "4" component occurs on "1"; "a of 2"; "& of 3"; "e of 3".

Again, basic rudimentary stuff.
    Nice to practice when stuck in traffic, too!
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Good post Jim!

I think that's probably the most important part, don't worry about sophisticated stuff too quick, start slow and RUDIMENTARY.

There is a Cornelius song called 'count 5 or 6' you should check it out matt, The song has a voice saying 1-2-3-4-5-6 over and over again, but then it blends into 4/4 , it's pretty interesting.
  5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR