Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with portable setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luigi, May 27, 2004.

1. Luigi

Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    NorCal
    I'm looking to complete my first rig. I have an Avatar SB112 as my only cabinet at the moment and would like to get another cabinet to take full advantage of my head's 300w. As it is, I seem to be getting good low response with this cabinet but sometimes I feel the single speaker can't handle all those low frequencies of my 5-string at high volumes (too much vibration). Overall, I'm very happy with it as a standalone for smaller gigs at moderate levels but for bigger gigs this won't cut it, especially now that my guitarist got a new 100w tube combo :rollno: But I'm undecided as far as the second cabinet to go with this one. Because of money issues and weight issues (bad back) another Avatar cab is my first choice, but which one???? B210? another SB112? SB115? If I get the 210 will the extra speaker area give me more volume? If I get another 112 will I have the same awesome sound times 2? Will a 115 give me the low end that my SB112 doesn't seem to handle at higher volume without sounding too muddy, you know, all that low end....
    I'll appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. Luigi

Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    NorCal
    Anyone? :(

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    My cab setup is a 210 which handles everything Im doing right now but I have a 115 to pair with it if I need more for really big gigs. Now Im looking at getting a 112 because the 210 can be overkill sometimes. Then I would have a 112 for small gigs, a 210 where the 112 isnt enough and the 210/115 combo for the biggest shows.

You could go two ways. Either get another cab to pair with your 112 or get another larger cab to take to bigger gigs. I personally like the cab setup I have and I feel it provides the most versatility for different sized shows. I would get a 210 and if you need even more in the future get a 115 to go with it.