Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with pro quality wireless

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kurt M., Sep 22, 2003.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    OK. So I swore I'd never use a wireless but our current situation warrants the use of one. So, research says the X Wire is the greatest but you can't find one anywhere. Some of the more expensive Shure units like the U14S only have a frequency response down to 50HZ. I'm not sure how that would fair with a 5 string tuned to low A. I realize that any wireless might alter my tone but I gotta have low end. There is also the Sennheiser 1092 Digital. I'm told by the Director of Product Development for Sennheiser that this is the model that uses the X Wire technology. But, it's just been discontinued. I asked him why if the technology is the best. His answer was, "Don't ask, it's a long story." So, anybody out there that has experience with a pro quality unit that is reliable, available and able to reproduce the low end of a 5 string bass?

I need to move on this as soon as possible. I appreciate the response.

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My Nady 2002 VHF is rated down to 25hz, but I only use it w/ my 4 right now. It sounds fine to me.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have no idea what the specs are on my samson airline, but my ears tell me it has no trouble reproducing the low B. There is a tone difference at about 2-4K which is only noticable when I slap, specifically the pop.

Why? Companding! I'd explain but I'm supposed to be working.......Do a quick search on it, it is must-know stuff for anyone using a wireless.

4. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Thanks guys. The X Wire and Sennheiser have no compander. The way it was explained to me was that these units take a digital representation of the signal and transfer that to the receiver which inturn converts the digital signal to audio that the amp can understand. It supposedly makes an exact duplicate with no loss of frequency.

The airline is a 50HZ and above unit. Guess it's questionable as to whether you can really hear below 50HZ but your should be able to feel it. In our band it's all about bottom end and I wouldn't want to compromise that. The Sampson looks more like a toy to me. I'm looking for something with more of a pro feel to it.

Used X Wire anyone?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Most Shure units go down to 20 or 25 hz. UT and ULX both go below 30 hz.

6. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Yeah I've checked the Shure and I'm considering it. The weird thing is the ULX does go down to 25HZ but the more expensive U14S ($1800) only goes down to 50HZ. Guess I was hoping to hear from Sennheiser 1092 users or possibly people who use the ULX Pro.

Thanks again for your input.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The AKG guitar bug is spec to 40Hz and is the size of the airline.

Peace
    Nick

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Forgot to ask, is $209 fair for the Sennheiser 1092?

Peace
    Nick

9. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Nick,

The 1092 is $300 at guitar center. I bet you saw those B-stock units on eBay for $209. Very tempting. I've emailed that guy but he hasn't returned my email.

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you're patient x wires can be found. I got mine for $500. I've seen a few others go for around the same price; maybe a little more. If you don't have time to wait around for an x wire I've heard good things about the Shure UT series. They are relatively cheap at between $300 and $400 and like Munji said go down to 20hz.

I've yet to read a positive review of the Sennheiser digital unit. From what I've read it seems Sennheiser tried to maximize profits off of the x wire technology by cutting costs where they shouldn't have. What a waste of a great technology.

11. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I recently went through a few wireless units looking for one which I thought did my Euro Spector 5 justice (which has a hotter output than my other basses).

Starting from

Cheap Nady 121- only went down to 40 Hz, bought because for $50, you can't go wrong if you just want to see if you really enjoy wireless. It actually did the trick for a long time, I enjoyed wireless enough to put up with the sound reduction.

Then to

Sennheiser 1092 - Sounded great, everywhere but my apartment. For some reason, it wouldn't work at all there, 0, nothing, nada. I thought it was just one unit, but the return proved me wrong, every unit I tried. Then one perfectly good unit stopped working at practice, same deal, suddenly 0, nothing. For me though, some sound all the time is better than great sound some of the time. Would never recommend. Paid $300 or so.

then to

Shure UT (guitarist)- Sounded okay, better than Nady, but really not as good as the Sennheiser. It still didn't keep up with the hot output of the Spector. If you can believe, did not sound good enough to keep for me. Paid $340 or so.

I thought about the Sennheiser EW172, cause somebody told me it was the spitznizle for bass, but I couldn't believe it when I checked the specs. Plus expensive. Plus I was burnt out on wireless units.

Then I decided I was determined to get Xwire. Found one for $540 from someone. Damn, it sounds good, can handle hot output. Although, much to my chagrin, if I boost the treble too much on the spector (just the spector, not warwick or modulus) I get strange alien communication sounds when I'm not playing. Once I touch the strings, I get %100 pure good tone, but if I stop, the aliens return. Weird. Still, people are not kidding when they talk about the superiority of these units. Everything else sounds bad compared to these.

If you really want wireless, I think you have 3 choices. 1) Buy my nady wireless for $50 + shipping ;). 2) Buy the shure, but realize there's something better. 3) look at ebay everyday for a month, you'll find an xwire.

12. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Man you guys are killing me. I've changed my mind a 100 times already. I'm hearing the same thing on the Sennheiser that is when it works it's great but it doesn't always work. And I'm not sure of the Shure so I guess I'll scour the planet for a used X Wire.

Thnanks guys.

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Get a used X wire. Mine is awesome...if anything happened to it I'd be pretty upset.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im gonna pick up a Sennheiser 1092 with a 2 year performance garauntee from Guitar Center on Thursday. I think I can get the combo for $200 but Ill have to check with the manager.

I'll have 30 days to A/B test it against cables and see if Im happy with it. I figure even if it does break I have 2 year full replacement coverage with the Performance Garauntee so I feel good to go.

Peace
    Nick

PS: I dont feel like waiting so long for an X-wire that Ill have to pay $500 for. Maybe Ill do that if the Senn doesnt work out.

15. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Nick,

That's a smokin deal on the Sennheiser if you can get them to do that. My guitar center quoted me $299 which is the same as Musicians Friend (same company) only Musicians Friend shows the 1092 as discontinued. I think you'll be happy with the sound you get when using the Sennheiser. My gripe is reliability. If you go to Harmony Central and check the reviews you'll see that quite a few people have had reliability issues with the 1092. My position is that we show case in New York City in front of A/R people. If my wireless fails in the middle of a show I'm toast -- it's definately a turn off. If you're just playing bars and the like it wouldn't be an issue. Depends on your needs I guess. I think at this point I'm ruling out the Sennheiser and still looking for an X Wire or if I can't find that I'll go with the Shure ULX Pro for around $650.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well the thing is I work at Guitar Ceneter so I was able to check it out and see the base cost to find what I can get it for. Musicians friend is ownded by the same parent company, but they are in reality their own entity and actually in competition with Guitar Center. I recommend you go into Guitar Center and find out if they could mark down the price for you. If you are a good consistant customer they might cut you a really good deal.

Im not playing for any realy specifically important people anytime soon and I'll have the 2 year replacement waranty so Im not worried about it busting. Just gotta bring an extra cable.

Peace
    Nick

17. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA

I don't think you'll need the 2 years if you get a quirky unit. I found my problems in 5 hours with the first one, about 12 with the second. I'm not saying don't buy the coverage, just saying with my experience, you'll pretty much figure out whether you're done with wireless searching in 30 days.

For the Sennheiser, I wouldn't say its a reliability problem where something suddenly breaks. The things are just weird, where they work someplaces, don't others, get weird sounds.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    GRRRR!!!!

My stores sales manager was not in today so I wasnt able to buy it. (He has to approve of all employee purchases.) My assistant manager told me that lately he has been comming down harder on employee purchases and wouldnt like it if we did this without him.

Too bad he can be a major jerk. If He doesnt give me the price I want (and know I should be able to get even without employee discount) Ill have a friend come in a buy it for me at that price

Sorry for the rambling but Im excited about this purchase amd tired of the stories I hear about him.

Peace
    Nick