1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with raising the action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SomeUsefulIdiot, Mar 28, 2009.

1. SomeUsefulIdiot

SomeUsefulIdiot

Mar 28, 2009
    Hey fellas,

I was stringing my Ibanez today, and when i had the strings in place, I noticed they were resting on the fretboard. I looked at the bridge, and it seems to me like i just need to raise the action on the strings with an hex wrench or something. Is this the right diagnosis?

Any help is appreciated.

2. possibly correct, however more info is needed. how is the relief on the neck, are these strings the same gauge as the ones removed, are the bridge saddles sitting right???

3. Did you tune up? With the strings loose it's quite common to see this.

4. SomeUsefulIdiot

SomeUsefulIdiot

Mar 28, 2009
    I don't believe the neck is warped, though i could be wrong, the strings are not the same gauge, they're a bit smaller, and yes, it does look like the bridge is messed up. I don't know the exact terminology, but the screws under the saddle aren't in the grooves. The A and high D strings have their screws resting on the grooves, but not the E or G strings. Hope that made sense.

As for tuning up, no i didn't. I noticed this first when i already had strings on the bass.

5. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Truss rod adjustment.

6. If I remember correctly, each string has one saddle, broken into two pieces. Yes, a small hex wrench (should have come with it) is required. Unless you have an in depth reason, be sure to move the saddle pieces as identically as possible. Raise or lower to your liking. If from the 9th up you are experiencing buzz, raise the bridge. When you get the bridge exactly how you want, use the truss rod to do the lower frets and complete a basic setup. Be sure to leave your strings semi loose, but not off. When you are done, tune up and you should be good.

Hope it helps,
    Ravyn