Need help with rig setup for metal w/5-string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by interule, Jul 7, 2005.

1. interule

Jul 1, 2005
    Im new here so greetings all.
    I've tried the search but have not had much luck or maybe looked in the wrong places.

But anyway, I'm getting a 5-string bass now (Dean Edge 5 Left Handed) because I am gonna be playing in my friends metal band, and I will probably be using the low B a lot because the guitarists tune down to B. So I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on a setup the would be best for this kind of playing. $1000 will probably be my limit for now.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Best rig for about $1000 new (not used) PERIOD!!!

Kustom Groove Bass 1200 Head (yes, 1200 watts) - $469 shipped (do a search for the place that sells it for this price)

Avatar B210 (2x10) Delta $229 +$29 ship

Avatar SB112 Delta LF (1x12 low freq, can handle a low B!) $229 + $29 ship

Total shipped to your door = $985!

Site for Avatar is .

You won't get a new rig with warranties that is louder, has better tone, handles a low B on your 5 string and has 1200 watts for less or much even close to that price! A few of us here have this rig (or this head with other Avatar cabs) and love it! I personally would not risk used gear. I've had some blow up on me in the past and without a warranty, you literally just threw your money away!

I just used mine at a large outdoor show this past weekend and it was overpowering two full guitar rigs and a PA to the point where I was asked to turn down after the second song and I was only on 3 on the master vol and 6 on the gain!
  3. interule

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks for the info. I did a search for the head but couldnt find where it was purchased for that price.
    I PMd one person asking. If you can let me know Id appreciate it.

Thanks for the info!
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I got my Sunn 1200S and Sunn 215 through TB here for 550 and 380 respectively. All this gear is used but all Sunn gear is used so I'm used to it now.

Full Massive metal rig for: $930

Now I've just bought my (used) Sabine RT7000 tuner from TB, Gator 2 space rack, power conditioner and a DOD 250 from Musicians Friend so I'm over the $1100 mark now...
  5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    If you can't find the rig that quad was suggesting, buy used equipment.
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Check Rico's thread here for the $469 Kustom head (shipped) ---> $469 GB1200 Head

He says in his thread to PM him for the place...
  7. interule

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks Quad. He got back to me ;)
  8. peavey Mark III and peavey 1810 kept up with 2 5150's micd drummer plus 2 really thoaty screamers in my buddies metal and. and never even got my pants shaking I felt upset about that last part.
  9. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd recommend the GrooveBass for sure.

For a cab, you'd have $500 left over at least.... so you honestly might have enough to step above Avatar, if you wanted. However, I would just stick with them, just for the sake of saving money for other purposes that might pop up.

Personally, I'd get the B212. $321 shipped. Most are quite satisfied with the Low B they get from it. At that point, you would probably be set, unless you really wanted more down the line. You could then make a choice, based on the sound of your B212, which cab you want to add to it. If you wanted more low end, maybe a 15.... more punch, a 210 or 410... or maybe just more portability, an SB112... you never know.
  10. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    An Avatar 4x10 Pro might be good in that situation, and a little cheaper.

When I built a rig on about the same budget I got an Ashdown MAG300 ($300), SWR WorkingMan's 1x15 (ebay, $250), and a Mesa Boogie 1x15 (ebay, $280). I later on got an Avatar 2x10 Pro.
  11. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    If you go the Avatar way for a cab I would lean heavily towards the Pro or Neo series. Especially with a 5-er. The Delta speakers don't handle the lows as well as the other speakers.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I rocked out for a few years in a metal band using a Peavey 215 with a Hartke 3500. It sounded great! I think if you are going to play metal, you should own a piece of Peavey gear.

13. interule

Jul 1, 2005

Very cool
    Do you play a 5-string thru this rig?
  14. interule

Jul 1, 2005

Do you think the B115H NEODYMIUM would handle the low end better then the B212 DELTA LFs?