Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with sansamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by teprodic, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Ok so I just got Sansamp RBI from UPS. I bought it used so I don't have the owners manual. Since I don't have a power amp I was planning on running it through my Hartke 5000. Can Anyone take me through a step by step process on how to get started? I don't know how I'm going to connect what to what. Before I was using the Hartke 5000 as my main amp and in the effects loop I had hooked up a Korg DTR 1000 tuner. So now I want to hook up the Hartke 5000 to the Sansamp RBI to the Korg rack tuner. If anyone can help me I will really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Two suggestions:

RBI > Hartke instrument input > Effects send > Tuner > Effects return. Maintains some tone control thru both the RBI and Hartke preamps; more than redundant.

RBI > Effects return. This should work as I believe it bypasses the Hartke preamp section and utilizes only the power amp. Hook your tuner up to the "unaffected" output located on the back of the RBI. I do the same with my Peterson VU II; keeps it out of the signal chain.

Play around with it. That's half the fun.

Riis

3. I might go with the second suggestion because I was planning on using the sansamp as the main pre amp. But I'm not sure where to connect everything exactly and what cables to use. So if i connect the sansamp to the to effects return will i be connecting my instrument from the sansamp input or from the hartke input? thanks for the info!

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    SansAmp input. You are completely bypassing the preamp on the Hartke and using it as a power amp.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'll elaborate.

Hook your bass directly into the 1/4" jack on the RBI's front panel.

Using a standard 1/4" instrument cable, run a line from the RBI's Sansamp Output (located on rear panel) to the Effects Return jack on your Hartke. Your RBI will be the preamp, the Hartke will serve as the power amp. Confusing, ain't it?

Run a standard 1/4" instrument cable from the Unaffected Output (located on rear panel next to Sansamp Output) to the input of your tuner. I prefer to keep my tuner out of the effects loop.

If you can't find an op manual online, I'll mail you a photostat. Let me know.

Riis