1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need help with scales..

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by skyskinner, Mar 31, 2006.

1. skyskinner

skyskinner

Feb 26, 2006
    hello.. i've been learning bass for a few months now and im now learning major and minor scales.. along with pentatonic scales.. however when i play for church service.. i only stick to the root note given on the scores. and anyone tell me how i would be able to apply the scales that i learnt to not stick to the root note all the time but do more fillins and variations?? or suggest other useful scales if any. =D

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Check out Mike Dimin's "Core Method". He posts here, so do a search and you'll probably find what you need. Its a very good concept for getting the scales and chords under your fingers.

There are many other books that are commerically published that can be of help, and judging from your question just about any will be of some help.

See if you can find a teacher in your area. There's no obligation to take lessons regularly for a long time, just ask some questions and go from there. If you have a group to play with (church) you are already well situated to improve.

3. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    You need to familiarize yourself with the boards a little better skyskinner. This thread needs to be posted in the "General Instruction" forum not in "Basses".

General Instruction Forum

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'll move this over to general instruction where you should get more responses.

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005