1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help with shielding

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Clydesauce, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    I am in the process of wiring my p bass right now that I am building. The cavity on the inside is painted but is it in need of shielding as well.

Thanks

2. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    Rewording , Does the inside cavity with the pots and the pickups in need of copper shielding.

3. Davidmh

Davidmh

Jul 12, 2012
    Wales, UK
    I would say yes. Be sure to shield the underside of the oickguard as well (just the part that fits over the body cavity).

Good shielding can make a lot of difference for very little money.

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Yes, Shielding helps more than it will hurt.

5. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    I have wired it, strung it and all. It is not making any noise though through my amp. Checked continuity and it. Is there a way the copper shielding is touching when the jack is in?

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Isolate it, to see if it is really the culprit, in other words, unattached the jack from the pickguard and pull it outside of the pickguard and plug it in again.

7. aronnes71

aronnes71

Jan 4, 2010
    Alta, Norway
    I have seen shielding paint at some Luthier shops. Do they do the job?

Cheers
    Tore

8. Of course they do, the same principle applies (Faraday's cage). Look for conductive paint, that will broaden up your sources and likely will get will you a better price

9. Davidmh

Davidmh

Jul 12, 2012
    Wales, UK
    Paint works. Copper sheet works better. Both are very cheap.

Check the circuit without the pickguard screwed down - be very careful doing this. My bet is that the circuit is at fault - but that should be an easy fix.

10. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    I found the problem and it was what I thought it was. Some of the shielding when the jack went on got pulled up as I used copper shielding tape. Just removed it and then replaced the tape and made sure it was secured this time. Bass is done.

http://i.imgur.com/inoeh.jpg