Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with sizes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm building a jazz bass from parts. All I have so far is the neck, which is a J bass replacement neck from allparts. I'd like to try to get everything from allparts since my dad gets a discount from them. I don't think I'll have any difficulty finding what I need, but I'm a little confused about tuners and bridges. Now this neck is apparently all the same dimensions of a fender, but some tuners are CBS or pre-CBS or don't even say anything about size. All I want are decent cloverleaf tuners that fit and don't cost a ton.
    Also, I'd like a bridge that has the holes in the right spots so in case I get a body with the holes drilled in the standard position it will fit. This (http://www.allparts.com/shopimages/BB_0356-010.jpg) was the one I was thinking of, but I dont' know if it's a direct replacement bridge or not. If anybody could help me find some parts that will fit I would really appreciate it.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The Allparts Jazz neck I have is set up for 11/16" tuner holes and Allparts has tuners (get good ones like,say, Hipshots) for it. DON'T cheap out on the tuners.

Get a vintage style (5 screw pattern) bridge with the threaded saddles. If you decide you don't like it a Bad*ss II will use the same holes.

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I noticed in some of their descriptions for tuners they say something like "4-in-line" which would mean you're buying a set of four of course. But if it says "Gotoh Tuning Keys for P. & J. Bass" does that mean just one or a set of four?

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    anybody know?

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I believe the ones I have on my Jazz are the Gotoh "Vintage Style" tuners which list for $85. Call Allparts on the phone and they will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.