1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help with sizes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm building a jazz bass from parts. All I have so far is the neck, which is a J bass replacement neck from allparts. I'd like to try to get everything from allparts since my dad gets a discount from them. I don't think I'll have any difficulty finding what I need, but I'm a little confused about tuners and bridges. Now this neck is apparently all the same dimensions of a fender, but some tuners are CBS or pre-CBS or don't even say anything about size. All I want are decent cloverleaf tuners that fit and don't cost a ton.
    Also, I'd like a bridge that has the holes in the right spots so in case I get a body with the holes drilled in the standard position it will fit. This (http://www.allparts.com/shopimages/BB_0356-010.jpg) was the one I was thinking of, but I dont' know if it's a direct replacement bridge or not. If anybody could help me find some parts that will fit I would really appreciate it.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The Allparts Jazz neck I have is set up for 11/16" tuner holes and Allparts has tuners (get good ones like,say, Hipshots) for it. DON'T cheap out on the tuners.

Get a vintage style (5 screw pattern) bridge with the threaded saddles. If you decide you don't like it a Bad*ss II will use the same holes.

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I noticed in some of their descriptions for tuners they say something like "4-in-line" which would mean you're buying a set of four of course. But if it says "Gotoh Tuning Keys for P. & J. Bass" does that mean just one or a set of four?

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    anybody know?

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I believe the ones I have on my Jazz are the Gotoh "Vintage Style" tuners which list for $85. Call Allparts on the phone and they will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.