need help with slapping!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SeXYBAsSPuNK, Jan 29, 2002.

Jan 29, 2002
    hey, i am new to slapping, and im just starting to get the hang of it and im starting to sound pretty good now. my problem is, that i dont know wut music or exercise to practice slapping! Does anyone know of any good sites(with examples) where i can learn more technique and hints on slapping and popping?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Start of just slapping some of the riffs u alredy know. i learnt to slap on 'killing in the name of' but songs like 'suck my kiss' (rhcp) 'kick out the jams' (mc5) stuff like that. then move on to old chillis stuff like backwards, fight like a brave, higher ground. when you're ready for a solo try stone cold bush (chillis again) its pretty simple but really cool. On you're way up try the awakening (les claypool and the holy mackrel) and fleas rare bass solo. both of the latter have tabs on this site, I don't know how good the awakening one is but the flea one sounds good to me.

As embellisher said, You'd be good starting off with exersise from libster of a book. A teacher can help as well.

Technique is simple take ya thumb, wack the knuckle on the desired string over about the 19/20 fret (that way u don't wack the string against the pick up). twist at the wrist to reapply. popping: in the action of slapping put ya index finger under the desired string and pull it away from the fret board - works well with hammering.

The best advice u can get would be from some one (teacher, mate) showing you what you're doing.
  4. The only thing I have ever seen or read that has helped with my slapping (besides a good teacher) is a video called The Slap Bass Program by alexis sklarevski. He goes from the basic right hand technique, to octave exercises all the way to Double-Stops and Machine-Gun triplets. My advice would be to play the video untill you see something alexis is doing that you need help with, then stop the tape and practice that part for about a week. If you work on it for about an hour a day in about 6 to 8 months you will able to get almost all the way through the tape and be one of the best slappers around.;)

Oh yeah I have a question for you great slappers, Is a machine gun triplet friggen possible. I have been practicing these things for months, I consider myself an above average slapper and I can't even come close. I was just wondering if anyone else out there can do them. I don't think I would ever do them in a band situation but it's just kind of a challege I put to myself that I would like to complete.