Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help with Solo!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Ok, so I have a solo in Jazz band, a piece called "Hot Sauce", little Latin rock piece. It is in the key of B flat, and my band teacher was telling me to play mode 2 of the B flat modes. And I am just having some trouble figuring out how to make it Latiny. PLEASE HELP!

On the other hand, I have a solo to a 12 bar blues, so much better, I like the blues better I guess, donno why I want a latin solo, but oh well, Help!!!

2. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    What chords are you soloing over? Figure the chord tones for each chord. (ex. Bb min7 = Bb, Db, F, Ab) Try doing sequences of four ascending or descending like Bb,Db,F,Ab, - Db,F,Ab,Bb, - F,Ab,Bb,Db, etc...Leave some space also. You can do the same thing with the modes. Play it as 16th notes or even triplets. You can get alot of mileage from this. This has been very helpful for me in soloing. If you use chord tones as your landmark notes your solo will sound right to the ear as they are the notes that define the chord. Good Luck!

3. I agree with the person above. I also think you should listen to the feel of the song and play off the other instruments. Figure out which notes are accented and which one are powerful. This way you can make some syncopation and things like that.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I assume your teacher is telling you to play C Dorian. (if your orginally in Bb major that is, you could be in Bb minor, which in case, you would probaly use the 2nd mode of either the melodic or harmonic minor scales)

I think the first idea to make it sound "Latin" has more to do more with the feel, timing, and phrasing than the actual notes. Latin is a lot of syncopation. Try to catch the feel in the rest of the song and just use the same feel in your solo. As far as actual notes, I agree with starting with the chord tones. Then you can base riffs off of the extensions to those chords to make it sound more harmonically interesting (7ths, 9ths, 13ths, you could even throw in some notes that fall out of the key certan such as b13ths, if you known enough about harmony). Thinking in phrases is very important. It's like talking. You pause a little bit after every sentence when you speak so it doesn't sound jumbled together, do the same when you play music. (espcially solo). Take an idea and run with it for a phrase. (Like play a sequencer) then end that phrase, let the audience know your done with that idea and do something new for your next phrase (such as a scalar run or something)

Hope some of these ideas help. Latin is a very rewarding style of music to play.

edited for mucho spelling errors. :d