Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with some math.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, Jul 11, 2005.

1. right now iam drawing th ebass iam gonna make to full scale.

there two things i can figure out. its gonna be a seven string bass. and i want the string spaceing at the nut to be the same as a jazz bass.

can some one draw a picture with size's i need to know how wide the nut should be and were the center points of the strings are gonna be. iam gonna be makeing a nut like the brass one on my warwick.

the second thing i need to knwo is how wide the fret board should be at the 24 fret. iam also makeing a bridge out of ebony that gonna be alot liek the one on my warwick. the string space at the bridge is 3/4 center to center of the strings.

2. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I could do that for you if you would tell me what YOU think the string-spacing of a Jazz is, at the nut. I know of three versions. You will HAVE to give me the scale-length of your finished product.

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Here is the nut part in a handy excel spreadsheet. I can't remeber who made this, but I think it was a TB'er.

4. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    To quote Pilotjones (page 6), it was made by "Peter Puleo aka Pilotjones".

5. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    On the 4-string J bass I'm doing a setup on now, the E-G string spacing is 1.1" (centers.) that's about 0.367" between each string... on a seven string there are six spaces, so the dimension between the outside string centers would be 2.2". Also remember to add enough width to keep the outside strings on the board. ( this instument: 0.208" G center to edge, 0.160" E center to edge.) So, if you spaced your Nut the same as this, but with extra strings, the nut width would be around 2.568". :eek: That's a fat neck! make sure you really want it this wide.:)

As far as finding the width of the neck @ the 24f, I suggest marking the location of the outside strings on the bridge and on the nut. then use a long straitedge to connect the points. This will show you the paths of your outside strings, and then you can determine how much wider you want the fretboard to be.

EDIT: I couldn't open your attachement, Paintandsk8, so I hope I'm not repeating any info here.:)

6. The neck on the 8 I'm building is 2.75". 2.5" is nothing! ;)

But in all seriousness, this is something to consider. I know that as far as 7+ string basses go there tends to be a lot of difference in the nut widths of different guys basses. Hanewinckel 7's are 2.25" for instance.

7. thanks for ur guys help. i got bored last night befor i realized people posted here. and i was trying to figure it out my self.

i got 2.625 as the width.

.188 from the edge to the center of the out side strings.

and .375 for string spaceing.

iam hopeing i left enough room on the sides of the neck.

i drew up plans for then nut and the warwick style bridge iam gonna machine on a cad program. i took screen shots of the parts so if u guy want i can try and post them.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC