Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need HELP with song list

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 5string, Aug 25, 2003.

1. 5string

5string

May 5, 2003
    Hanover PA
    We have about 25 tunes in just a few weeks. We do NOT want to do what all the other cover/bar bands are doing. We are currently playing old and new stuff from artist like, Green Day, AC/DC, BadFinger, Nickelback, Black Crowes, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Fuel, bla bla bla. We like hard tunes with an edge and some challenge for a three piece group. We are trying to stay away from the cover tunes we are used to hearing in clubs.

If you could please offer just some artists that come to mind I can press on. We are drawing blanks and need serious help. We could easily get 50 tunes but we would rather not play tunes from the list of crap not to play in public.

thanks all

2. spazmed

spazmed

Jul 17, 2003
    Not sure if you know who they are, but moe. are a hard rock group that offer a huge variety of songs to choose from. Not only are they structured well, but they are very catchy. They are right on the verge of being huge so it may benefit you to cover them now!
    Josh

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Go through your music collection and write down the songs that you like. Get the other guys in the band to do the same and combine the list. If several of you like one song, that's probably a very strong contender.

Now listen to a few local cover bands (or just ask them what they do) and strike off the songs that they use. Unless your list was very short or your music collections consist only of 'best of' albums, you'll probably have a reasonable number of unique tracks left.

Finally, before actually learning the songs to try out, remember that people tend to like covers bands because they play stuff that is familiar. Even if your goal is to start adding in your own original material, it might be worth allowing a few of the 'standards' back into the list (eg. learn Freebird just in case you find yourself in a gig where you have to play it ;-)

Also, don't forget that you can do a familiar song, but put your own twist on it - that's another way of being unique without ending up being so different that nobody gets you.

Wulf

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    a few options. My new band just started about 5-6 months ago and this has worked very well for us. We are a cover band that does clasic rock to nu metal. The first 3rd of the set list we put in dance favorites (what I like about you, etc), the next 3rd we put in songs that we as a band like (maiden, etc) and the last 3rd we put in new songs from the radio and songs from the 80s and 90s. The songs from the 80s and 90s we picked the songs that were the second release that still got radio play (b side songs). This has worked great for us and we play alot of familiar songs that other bands dont play. We now have started putting out a note book for fans requests and are getting the next set of songs that way. In the past 3 years Ive been playing out, in my last bands and now this one, the top 2 (by far) bands that get requested are slayer and skynard. go figure.

5. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    It probably goes without saying but there has to be songs in your list familure to the great unwashed (The commoners who don't play music). I would stick to artists you or the other members can sing and sing well. Vocals make or break a band - I have played gigs from NY through SC and the comments I always hear from the crowd is you have a good singer or I liked your harmonies...If the singer is confident and in key, the band will sound better no matter what you are playing, popular songs or not.

Remember that no matter what musical direction you start in a band it will change drastically before it's all over...ask all the guys who went from playing Poison and Ratt to playing Pearl Jam and Nirvana in the 1990's just to get gigs. I was there, it happenend literally over night. I wish it would happen again

That said, Playing to your comfort zone vocally and picking those artists and you will go far. Change keys, tune 1/2 step down, whatever.

I know I ranted, but I hope I helped!:D

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It differs from area to area. We scouted the competition and do every weekend we don't play to make sure our songs are different and we don't fall into whatever everyone else is doing. For example it's all Godsmacked out in Detroit so we avoid that.